• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best antenna for Motorhome 12' Ladder

Raven,
I think that, "it would be a bit high at 17ft" thingy out weighs any benefit from not being 'loaded'. Sitting still, I think I'd agree with you, but then, why not make it a 5/8 wave? More a practical thing than a performance thing.
- 'Doc

I hate to sound naive with my first posting ... but, why would a 102" not be good for 'on the road'? Clearly if it was on top of a 9ft high RV it would be a bit high at 17ft (as far as underpasses and such). But is not a natural 1/4 wave better than loaded as far as SWR?

I seek to learn
Raven

A proper SWR can be achieved with practically any antenna. However the usable bandwidth may vary, and 1/4 wave antennas often exhibit a wider SWR curve as compared to some of their "loaded" counterparts.

I have a Firestik FS-5 that shows a decent SWR from about 26 to 27.8 MHz, if I remember correctly. And it gets out like gangbusters! (Of course the 700 Watts on SSB doesn't hurt either...)

-

A proper SWR can be achieved with practically any antenna. However the usable bandwidth may vary, and 1/4 wave antennas often exhibit a wider SWR curve as compared to some of their "loaded" counterparts.
-

Thanks, All. I am an audio engineer, just getting into radio in ernest. I picked up a Grant XL to play with while I bone up for a Tech License later in the year. This particular thread was timely because I planned to put the Grant in our little class C motorhome and am at the point of deciding on a NGP short whip or to go with something like the 102" grounded to the frame.
I spose I should start my boning up with some remedial antenna theory. LOL

Thanx again. Glad I found this forum

So you have used one? Or you have saw one.

i have used and seen
firestick2
wilsonsilverload
k40 fiberglass abtenna
skipshooter
i have used all these the wilson silverload and skipshooter seemed
to work the best and if i remember right they handled the most wattage
have ya got a antenna mounted yet?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.