• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best antenna for Motorhome 12' Ladder

Best 11 meter antenna for Motorhome attached to 12' ladder grounded to frame? Wilson, K-40 or 102" whip? :)

For goin' down the road? Wilson. For when you're parked, the 102" whip. (Assuming the antenna will be mounted toward the top of the ladder.)

A quarter wave whip is hard to beat.

For goin' down the road? Wilson. For when you're parked, the 102" whip. (Assuming the antenna will be mounted toward the top of the ladder.)

A quarter wave whip is hard to beat.

Yes, I should have mentioned 102 is not good going down road.. but I have both Wilson 2000 and K 40 when parked..and I can put up the 102.. what is best between K 40 and Wilson when on road? :)

What's the difference between a K-40 and a Wilson when driving down the road? At a very rough guess, I'd have to say about 3 1/2 cents. Either way. If you've already got both, why not try them one at a time? Then, you could tell us.
- 'Doc

if ya have metal mirriors arms id mount the 102 on a mirrior mount
now i know this isnt the best place for this antenna.however it still
should outdo a k40/wilson mounted on the roof.and ya dont have to
keep changing out antennas.

if ya have metal mirriors arms id mount the 102 on a mirrior mount
now i know this isnt the best place for this antenna.however it still
should outdo a k40/wilson mounted on the roof.and ya dont have to
keep changing out antennas.

good idea.. never thought of it..thanks..

I have heard great things about skip shooter antennas. Fiberglass from 3 to 7 ft. You could use the same mount as the 102. Put the 102 in when you get to were you want to camp. 25 bucks or less for the skipshooter depending on how long.

put a flat piece of metal on the top of the ladder. (i did this , i used screws)
attach a few wires for radials to the plate. put a magnet mount on the plate and it will work pretty well! play with the radials for best swr.

"Skip shooter antennas", antennas for shooting skip? Ooo, that's getting real close to those antennas made especially for 'color TV', or HDTV! -ANY- antenna can be used for 'shooting skip'. Some can be a little better than others, but that only depends on what you are comparing, and the particular circumstances of their use.
- 'Doc

I hate to sound naive with my first posting ... but, why would a 102" not be good for 'on the road'? Clearly if it was on top of a 9ft high RV it would be a bit high at 17ft (as far as underpasses and such). But is not a natural 1/4 wave better than loaded as far as SWR?

I seek to learn
Raven

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.