• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best brand of 2M/70cm Mobile?

aggie sig

Nov 2, 2010
I've read alot about Larsen, but my local Ham shop only has TRAM, Browning, and MFJ.

I'm looking for a lip mount NMO-connector antenna and I'm going for the longer ones.

should I order the Larsen? or are those brands just as good?

Thank you!

I guess it all depends on how the antenna will be used. As far as ruggedness goes, the Larsen is pretty much at the top and the performance is top notch as well. There is a reason why pretty much all emergency vehicles are equipped with Larsen antennas. Two reasons really. Reliability and performance.

Given your choices, I think I'd order what you wanted if it fit your need. There are several brands that make the type of antenna you are looking for (which I'm guessing is a 5/8 wave), all of them are generally equal. The 'best' antenna is the one that fit's your particular application the 'best', which changes from user to user, and is almost never the same between any two applications.
- 'Doc

Larsen is going to be a good antenna.

I run a Maxrad 5/8 VHF antenna on my car and it performs very well. Since it's what our department puts on all the squad cars, our local commercial radio dealer keeps quite a few of them in stock.

2/70?

A LARSON 2/70 I think is the BEST choice of a dual band mobie antenna.I think they kick a DIAMOND or ANY brand in the butt!

SIX-SHOOTER:D

My diamond 7900a would out perform my dual band larson but was too long and bulky,kept hitting stuff. I put the larson back on and did without the extra gain.

I also have a 5/8 wave maxrad nmo trunk on my work car that has been problem free.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.