• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best learner beginner cheapo set up?

cphilip

Sep 10, 2006
Clemson SC
www.cphilip.com
Keyer and paddle set that would plug right in to my RCI 2980wx for learning which would hook up but also act as a practice unit? For say... well... let start with 100 bucks or less?

Used is fine if you know of some and ranges of ones you have seen sold recently if you don't.

Or perhaps a bit more but convince me to spend it now rather than later if thats going to be your tact on it. Or give me your rational for one or the other.

I just want to be on the lookout for one. And know the values and what kind I should be looking for. Best be knowledgable first so I am ready if a deal comes my way.

TIA

Phil

cphilip said:
Keyer and paddle set that would plug right in to my RCI 2980wx for learning which would hook up but also act as a practice unit? For say... well... let start with 100 bucks or less?

Used is fine if you know of some and ranges of ones you have seen sold recently if you don't.

Or perhaps a bit more but convince me to spend it now rather than later if thats going to be your tact on it. Or give me your rational for one or the other.

I just want to be on the lookout for one. And know the values and what kind I should be looking for. Best be knowledgable first so I am ready if a deal comes my way.

TIA

Phil

Straight key or keyer?

Or both?

If you can find one, look for a Ham-Key HK4. Has a set of iambic paddles and a straight key on one base. Next, look for a Trac 22/33 or MFJ electronic keyer. You should be able to pick both of these items up for less than a c-note.

Handy at building stuff?

Head over to MFJ's website and buy a Curtis 8044ABM or 8045A 'keyer on a chip'. Build up the circuit on a piece of perfboard then place in an enclosure of your liking. Cheap...last I checked, the chip was around $20.

I found a used Bencher BY-1 and MJF Keyboard Keyer (which supposedly will run the Bencher too as it has been doing so) used for about 70 - 80 bucks. Would this be a good set up?

I am unsure of if it is a direct plug in for the RCI 2980wx as to the plug size that exits on the MJF... But probably can work around that by conversion if not...

Straightkey or Keyer/Paddles

I dont know what a Rc 2980 is but I would recomend starting with a Straight Key 1st,learning to send good code with that first,use it as you practice learning the code.The keyboard might be fine after you are licensed if you want to go that way.
The MFJ keyer is the way to go it has audio output that you can hear as you send and will work with a sk or paddle.Look for a J-38 SK,and the Bencher paddles are fb too,you should be able to find both for under $ 100 at a ham fest or other.Good luck also shoud be no problem hooking it up to your rig,probably a plug change or an ADAPTATOR will wrk fine.

DE-K8PG Paul CW LIVES :usa

I agree about starting with a straight key. Learn to MAKE the characters sound they way they're supposed to, not just wiggling your thumb and fingers and having a machine do it for you. Learn to make the same sound -- the EXACT, PRECISE same sound -- as you hear on whatever code-learning system you might be using.

THEN, when you get up around 15 WPM with the straight key, consider going to a paddle and keyer. You'll know what things are supposed to sound like because you've learned how to make them manually.

IMO, for a beginning code student to use a paddle and keyer is like someone who's never tried sculpting to take mallet and chisel to a block of expensive marble and expect a masterpiece to show up, somehow. He first should learn the various techniques, and how to form the finished product.

Maybe not the best analogy, but I think you get the idea. Good luck!

code

The guys are right, straight key to start with, and if you want to save more money, buy a straight key and since you own a computer go to
http://www.morsecodeonweb.homestead.com
download cwcom, and you can practice all you want hearing the tones, and when you get real ambitious you can talk to fellows and dont need a license. practice all you want, key plugs into an adaptor on your computer adaptors I believe are advertised there, and until your key arrives you can use the up/down key.

doctor :shock:

Thats cool stuff doctor. I think I will start out with that MorseKOB program and get set up for that. I mostly have all Mac computers but I do indeed happen to have a decent Windows laptop that I do keep out in the Shop so will start by downloading it to that and go about getting the proper inputs for that practice program.

Thanks for the Rx doctor (multiple puns intended!) :LOL:

morse

That morse kob program is for american morse and the cwcom is for international morse<ham>, I myself use both. The american morse is shall we say Railroad telegraph.
I belong to the Morse Telegraph Club and use on landline a sounder with a straight key into a morse converter and modem, where you can dial up a free HUb and talk to fellows using american morse, although I have talked to fellows using international code on it.

The units are furnished thru MTC at a lend/lease cost as long as you belong to the club. The sounder you have to get on your own.<140 ohm or better>.

Look for you somewhere along the morse route...

http://www.webspawner.com/users/dx700

MFJ KEY

yES that looks like a good key and the price is right, a good selection at the moment, and later if one desires upgrade to a better key

Done deal then. I first spotted this option on ebay but oddly enough they are bringing close to a new one most times. Might as well go new and have some fall back in case you get a dud I figure.

I'll be clickin away in my lounge chair here shortly... :D

Thanks again Doc.

LEARNING CW-

SOME FOLKS CAN PICK IT UP QUICKLY OTHERS IT MAY TAKE MONTHS IT DOES TAKE SOME BRAIN POWER AND SOME WILL TO BE A MASTER AT IT,BUT EVERYONE DOES NOT NEED TO BE A MASTER AT THE CODE IF YOU LIKE CW FINE IF NOT FINE TO BUT IT IS A NEW MUSICAL LANGUAGE,MYSELF,I THINK YOUR REALLY NOT A TRUE RADIO AMATEUR IF YOU DONT KNOW THE CODE YOU DONT NEED TO BE VERY PROFICIENT JUST KNOW IT FOR JUST IN CASE??? ITS LIKE DRIVING A CAR WE ALL SHOULD KNOW HOW TO PUT AIR IN YOUR TIRE ? WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY I TAUGHT CODE AND CRYPTO AND JUDO AMONG OTHER THINGS.IN A CLASS OF 75 THERE WERE 23 WASHOUTS AND I SAY 3 JUST COULD NOT LEARN THE CODE THE OTHERS DIDNT TRY VERY HARD OR CHANGED TO A DIFFERENT ATS IT WAS 4 HRS A DAY 5 DAYS A WEEK AT THE END OF 6 WKS 25 TO 40 WPM-5 WORD GROUPS.LOOK AT IS A CHALLENGE IN LIFE AND A POSISTIVE OUTCOME.THIS IS NOT A NO CODE OR PRO CODE MESSAGE,ANYONE WANTS I CAN SET UP A CODE PRACTICE ON 40 OR 80 MTR CW NOVICE BAND AND YOU CAN COPY IT ANY TIME JUST E-MAIL ME AND WILL MAKE A SKED.GL ES HAPPY LEARNING-73

DE-K8PG -PAUL :D

interesting Paul... I sort of agree with you there. I think I want to learn just a bit of code.

Hey I tell ya what... You teach me Code and I will teach you where the cap locks key is! :D ;) I kid I kid!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.