• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BOAFENG UV-5RE PLUS NO RX ON VHF

The Mad Scientist

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 24, 2012
Northeast Pa
Hi all, I have one of these and it is programmed correctly and i can't get vhf rx unless you hold in the monitor button.

Has anyone else seen or had this issue and how would it be corrected?

Thanks in advance,
73's
Eric

Do you have a RX DCS/CTCSS or something like that turned on? That could cause this.

Try turning your CTCSS off, as well. Are you unable to receive ANY frequency, or just one of them? Try listening to, say, a NOAA weather frequency.

It was the rx ctcss. I turned it off and it works correctly. I guess some work with it on and some don't.

Next question;

I am trying to delete the factory memory channels, But when I select mem delete it won't confirm it just beeps.

Eric, glad you got it figured out. If you haven't already, check out this site:
Baofeng UV5R Baofeng UV-5R It pretty much tells you everything you need to know. I killed the old programming via Chirp and a USB cable. Very simple to do it that way, and to program repeaters/ctcss codes, etc.

Brett

Yes, I had seen that Brett. In my experence with it so far it seems to work ok. However I am finding the audio is to low for my taste. I found this mod that I hope would open it up a little;

Baofeng UV-5R low TX modulation mods - YouTube

Here is another;

N5GOR » Baofeng UV-5R : Modulation Fix!

It looks simple enough.

Edit: misread your post... thought you meant you couldn't hear it. I've heard you can open up the hole for the mic, but you have to be very careful not to mess up the microphone itself. I haven't transmitted on mine yet, so I can't tell you if they are low on transmit or not.

Brett

Brett

I also read that since this is actually a commercial HT, that they are purposely built to reduce background noise when transmitting. So, you have to get really close to the mic.

RT307

The audio mod that I have seen was done to the external mic, not the one internally. Even when you get close to the mic and talk loud it is still on the low side with the internal mic.

I am going to try this one as soon as I get some time. I am not a big fan of the external mic's.

Oh by the way, I didn't for get about the mod with the T.S. I have has so much on my plate that I barely have time to turn it on anymore.

73's
Eric

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.