• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bob 85 UK

:eek::w00t: is that a bit of qrm from 26 division i hear, i'm sure bob will blame shit conditions rather than his twig for that lame ass signal into the states,lol.

its a combination of everything jazz, my antenna don't work well for longer haul dx at the height i have it,
i sold most of my radios and had to fix the icom703 just to see if i could make the trip to 4040, it was set at about 1/2w output with the shitty sounding icom compressor into a klv1000,
AND conditions for me to the west side are poor;)

Bob and Jazz:

Scott/4040 got on the band a bit too late for less than optimal conditions. Both Bob and Scott might consider getting on the radio about one hour earlier. I've talked all over the UK @ 5/9 signal strength by the time you guys started to talk. BTW - I was listening to both of you, as 4040 is only 18 mi/24 km from me. I heard you Bob - you did sound kinda squeaky - but in there. About the same as Scott heard you; as we both use 4 element Yagis.

Jazz - where were you?!?
Talked/heard George/108AK144 in Glasgow several times this week.

Last edited:
robb,
i was out there well before 4040 and listening for him, the squeeky sound is likely the audio based compressor in the 703, my voice aint squeeky,
the klv spoils the audio with any more drive or keeps dropping out if i turn the compressor off,
i can't make the trip in these conditions on 10w without the compressor where the icom sound pretty good,

i worked about 40 east and central usa stations on am yesterday with good reports in a short time using an old am/fm cb,

if you heared me you should have given me a shout ;)

Bob it was on my end i started late today sorry had some things to do....I will be out tomorrow in prime time witch is 9:00am to 11:00 am any time after that the dx is bad...I will have my live stream up to so you can hear yourself in my radio

robb,
i was out there well before 4040 and listening for him, the squeeky sound is likely the audio based compressor in the 703, my voice aint squeeky,
the klv spoils the audio with any more drive or keeps dropping out if i turn the compressor off,
i can't make the trip in these conditions on 10w without the compressor where the icom sound pretty good,

i worked about 40 east and central usa stations on am yesterday with good reports in a short time using an old am/fm cb,

if you heared me you should have given me a shout ;)
Sorry for the miscue. Didn't mean to say that your voice sounded squeaky; I meant that your signal was 'weaky squeaky' - or weak. I could hear you as well as Scott could. Guess you need to put that Vector up as you said. That should help immensely, unless you have a beam that you could put up instead.

I will be looking forward to talking to you tomorrow if conditions permit. I will be on the same freq as Scott, which is .580/USB. I can also be found most often between .560 or .580.

Last edited:
im hearing you 4040 but conditions are worse than yesterday for me to the west coast, no signal most of the time,
im hearing the guys you are talking to in scotland and southern england as well as im hearing you on this cloudwarmer :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Bob and Jazz:

Jazz - where were you?!?
Talked/heard George/108AK144 in Glasgow several times this week.

was out on sunday night, but by the time i got to a decent location prop had swung from the usa to the caribbean.

as for hearing 108at144,the greatest station in scotland, :LOL::LOL: lucky you mate, we hear him daily and its about as entertaining as a fart in an astronauts suit. try searching youtube for his 108at144 callsign or google for his "ham" callsign mm1 gyo.

here's one for starters. cb radio 108 div scotland uk skip dx warning bad language! - YouTube

enough to make your eyes water. but excellent study if your into understanding mental illness and severe delusion. you might even start to understand why i post the way i do, when faced with cr@p like that on a daily basis on the radio here, and why i rarely go on radio these days. i've been listening to shite like that for 3 decades and despite his current worldwide notoriety he was far from the worst this city produced on air.

Rob, enjoy it while you can mate, the amount of enemies he's made in this city, the murder capital of europe, don't bode well for his future health. the last guy like him in this area didn't fare too well, if i recall he got a machete in the head. but good luck to him, he'll need it in glasgow, bamming up as many people as he does.

its a combination of everything jazz, my antenna don't work well for longer haul dx at the height i have it,
i sold most of my radios and had to fix the icom703 just to see if i could make the trip to 4040, it was set at about 1/2w output with the shitty sounding icom compressor into a klv1000,
AND conditions for me to the west side are poor;)

I knew you'd bite at that one Bob :LOL::LOL:

we'll just have to rename you the "Weakest station in the nation, saturating clouds that other stations dream about". ;);):p:LOL::LOL::whistle:

LOL - mate!

I'm not saying that he is the 'Voice of Scotland'; I'm just saying that Glasgow has been making the trip into the West Coast of the US on a pretty regular basis. So you can too.

IMO - the way to handle this guy is to show him up. Are you saying that by quitting DX that he can do a better job at it than you can? Lead, follow, or get out - and you got out?!? Say it isn't so. Want to talk to you on the freeband, and you know where to find me as I mentioned on a previous post on this thread. AK144 is using the same Sirio beam as I am, but I can still make some very decent contacts with those running verticals

I'm not picking on you Jazz; I'm attempting to inspire you to do it better, get out there, and lead by example. You can do that.

BTW - what is your DX call sign?

i know you ain't saying he's the voice of scotland, he told half of glasgow that on air on sunday night :headbang , just before he declared to the world he was putting up the biggest beam ever seen in glasgow, i'm just wondering if he's gave up on the idea of co phasing 3 antron 99's:LOL::LOL: his last brainstorm to make him the ultimate station in the universe.

he hasn't drove me off the radio, nor will anyone like him, i know how to deal with tards. the reason i ain't been on the radio is my mate i go out mobile with had lost the bug due to health issues, but last week he bought a lincoln and wanted it tested out. so i might get out a bit more often.

where i am, it may be very expensive to put a big twig up like i used to have at my mums, but i haven't been here long enough to get round to it, so many other important things to do around the newish house, cb is low priority on my income, although i still own several radio's/accessories and have a sirio tornado here to put up,

the trouble is i live in a multi storey building and i ain't on the top fllor with easy access, which means costly t&k's with a 20 ft mast or a very expensive coax run to the roof and the problem of accessing the roof, i'm getting a bit old to climb drainpipes on tenement buildings like i used to do.( i remember climbing one years back, then had a sigma 4 and a joined 20 ft scaffy pole handed up to me and a mate to drop down the drainpipe, not for the feint hearted) the other problem is my heart ain't exactly in it, working dx has few challenges left, i can do the whole world from the mobile with the sirio hp4000, i used to regularly bend needles in canada and stateside among many others.

funnily enough on sunday night i heard an old friend 195sd105 David from around 2000, booming in here 30 db over 9, but as i was only running 20w from the mobile due to my mate not having set up the kl500 yet, and all the power jockeys were going mad for him i let it go, there will be many other days open to the carribean. i'm in no rush.

i have a few callsigns, but rarely use any other than 108yz024, as it was a local group in glasgow and i ain't into elitest groups, i was delta tango 374, papa sierra 074 and tango mike 024 amongst others, back in the eighties i used sierra delta x ray 501, the scottish dx group, sadly no longer around. my AM/FM cb handle is the same as my user name on here, has been for 33 years

leading by example here isn't difficult, there ain't that much competition ;);) , anyway, the time to lead by example is solar minima, not maxima ;) i find it more of a challenge putting something back into the hobby these days and helping others to achieve what i've taken for granted for many years, which is why i go on forums. i'm a firm believer in not taking if your not willing to give back. i can't pay back the guy who taught me so much 30 years ago, but hopefully i can pass some of his incredible knowledge on and a few bits i've picked up along the way myself.

take care Robb, best 73, George.;):D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.