• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bored Person With Time On Their Hands? Prob. For Ya Kraco 4030

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Have a cosmetically wonderful Kraco KCB 4030 Super Deluxe 40 ch AM mobile.

Powers up. No RX or TX.

R52, a 10 ohm 1/4w resistor gets super hot upon power up. Does not burn up, just gets very hot.

Checked nearby components best I could in-circuit and with an ohmmeter only, Couldn't locate a problem right off.

No schematic, none posted at cbtricks.

Just thinking someone out there might have experience with this radio and possibly a schematic and could point something out.

Always liked the styling of those radios and would hate to junk it.

IF anyone has a 40 ch Super Deluxe SSB mobile or base and wants to sell let me know.

Thanks but I'm not really looking for a service manual or how to become master technician. Only wanting to see if someone can chance to point me out the bad component that I can replace. It's a long shot asking but one will definitely not receive if they don't even ask.

Wire -

That 10 ohm resistor is the current limiting resistor going to the collector of the pass transistor Q6 (2sc1318) in the voltage regulator circuit. The voltages on this transistor should be approx: 9.40 -base, 13.8 -collector, and 8.7 -emitter. If the emitter is low, something is dragging it down. This is a standard Cybernet PTBM049AOX chassis used in Midland, HyGain, and RCA cbs. There should be a schematic on CBTricks for one of these.

I have a Kraco CB Deluxe it works but the covers are missing. If your interested you can pm me.

Thanks.

T23

Thanks 399 & T23 This is probably going to end up being beyond my ability to repair. I got it free to tinker with. Probably going to return it to the source. He has a slightly different model that works and he can use this one for parts.

Thanks again WW

Roger that, will try and get get back to ya. It sounds like you know what you're doing. If so, you'd be about the only one 'round these parts.

399, There is LOW level volume RX if you short 2 & 3 (antenna connected)

Also with simple power up, the RED led indicator is lit. I suppose this signifies transmit. There is also a green one.

I didn't bother to wire a mic up for it yet until I could possibly get it working. I have the wiring arrangement.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.