• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brand new galaxy dx 959 no modulation?

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
Well it's always something it seems like. I got a brand new 959b and everything worked, but didn't swing as much as other 959s. Anyway now I have no modulation, I still have a good carrier but no swing. Sideband is weak also. Turning the AMC inside radio does nothing, mic gain is up, tried a new mic, receiver works fine, PA works fine. Gate voltages on mosfets are correct, pre driver seems fine, I got voltage on regulator. So I'm lost, I tried looking for bad componets/solder joints but I'm at a standstill now. Anyway suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just send it back and get a new one. Why have to mess with a new radio and trouble shoot issues with one. A new radio that is. Not worth the trouble when you can get a replacement that will work right, hopefully LOL! Seriously though. I wouldn't go messing around in there much if you are going to send it back as you don't want Galaxy to void the warranty for tampering with it per say. JMHO's.
Merry Christmas to All. May you have a blessed day and remember it's about giving and not receiving!!!
73 and God Bless from Daytona Beach, FL.
We are wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops this Christmas!!!! It's going to be a warm one this year!!!!

if you just want to look around to see what you can, start by looking around the audio IC for bad solder and a possible cracked traces. that area has been the most common areas
check around the AM regulator mounted to the side of the case it is larger than a final.

Not all of us are so fortunate to get such a great intro to electronics. (y)
I don't condemn the OP for doing what he may or may not have done to the radio but logic would say if you're not sure what you're doing practice on a used beat up something. In my opinion, if I were the OP I would return the radio claiming nothing done to it and get another. Use it as it is and then either buy something used to "tweak" on.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Best bet is to always buy a radio from a place that does good tech work. This way the radio is properly tuned and aligned one time, shipped once, and your done. If you have not honestly voided the warranty send it back.

well what did you do to it?
you said that it didn't swing like your other radios, and then you said that it had no modulation.
what happened between those two statements?
LC

He does have a history of unexplained equipment failures. Poor guy is plagued with bad luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.