• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

browning mk4 mic issue

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Well all, i picked up a golden eagle mark 4 the other day for cheep. Its a 9.9 in looks and it works just fine. I also bought a banana style mk3 mic. I wired the mic for the radio and i got tx and rx and audio but i also have a squeal as if the mic is to close to the speaker. Feedback type squeal. I knows its wired right so thats not the issue. Im leaning toward an impedance miss match. I wired up a astatic 636 and the radio works just fine. The banana mic is just too sencitive i think. This is just a guess.

Anyone have any input on making this radio and mic work together without the feedback?

I like this old setup. It will mostlikely go in the closet and get covered up but i want to get the mic working with the radio first.

BTW, does anyone know if these banana mic sounds good? With the feedback i cant tell yet. I was thinking for just picking up a d104 to go with the radio but i just havent had much luck with the elements on them. Ether blown or junk replacement.

Thanks for any help on this.

I believe all the golden eagle radios had a squeal or ping on keyup. It was their trademark. It was caused by the rx not muteing quick enough, causing slight feedback, and (I think) can be remedied by removing a capacitor. It may not do it with a n/c style mic. I'd leave it be, adds to the nostalgia of the radio, jmo. Lots of info on the inet for changing the sound and length of the ping.

Not familiar with the mk3 mic, can't help ya there:)

I believe all the golden eagle radios had a squeal or ping on keyup. It was their trademark. It was caused by the rx not muteing quick enough, causing slight feedback, and (I think) can be remedied by removing a capacitor. It may not do it with a n/c style mic. I'd leave it be, adds to the nostalgia of the radio, jmo. Lots of info on the inet for changing the sound and length of the ping.

Not familiar with the mk3 mic, can't help ya there:)
I understand that noise. What im getting is feedback as long as mic is keyed and changes tone if you move mic around facing it other directions.

I understand that noise. What im getting is feedback as long as mic is keyed and changes tone if you move mic around facing it other directions.

My bad...sounds like something shorted or dirty within the mic. Maybe give the switch a good cleaning, try a new mic cord if its the original one. Have you tried it on a different radio?

Well I did some checking and found that if I put a resistor in the audio wire and cut it back a bit I made it not squeal anymore. But the audio on this banana mic was not what I was wanting. It works just fine, just not what I wanted.

I dug around in a box of old mics looking for something I thought I might have had years ago and found it. A Turner M+2/U hand mic. Wired the jack up to work with the browning, cleaned the pot on the mic (it being a power mic), bought a stack of watch batteries and shrink wrapped them to fit in the slot and cleaned and rewired the mic switch. A lot of time and work for an old mic. Plugged it in and it works great! Good clean audio without the tinny or muffled sound.

Got what I wanted and only had to spend $18.00 on batteries. Ouch!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.