• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

built in scrambler & ANI code

ea74706

Feb 3, 2008
I'm not too familiar with a Built-in Scrambler & ANI code. Can you tell me exactly how this works and can I turn it off? Or could I transmit/recieve with a radio without this feature.

Specifically, I'm looking at the PX-777 Plus
Thanks again

while i don't know these radios, i have never seen a vhf/uhf radio where u could not turn the scrambler and ani functions off. actually i have never seen a uhf/vhf radio come with these functions active from the factory. you must activate both features with programming software.

the 'built in' scramblers are usually of the very cheap inversion type. the microphone audio and a tone (the inversion tone) from a 'tone generator' inside the radio is inserted into a audio mixer. this 'mixed' audio then modulates the rf output. on the receiving end, everything works in reverse.

the ani (automatic number identification) is basically a small burst of tones at the beginning or ending of a transmission that relates to an assigned identification # for each radio. these radios probably use the generic dtmf or 5-tone ani formats.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.