• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Burning eyes and headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
I got some burning in my eyes and a headache while testing my 80 meter dipole. I stopped right away. Man that is some serious stuff. I had it hooked to the fence to fence just to see if it recieved better than my G5RV. Recieve was way down so I tried the tuner and thats when i got the burn. I had a 1:1 balun and 136 ft overall length. My swr would not go down. Stupid mistake! I'm going to install it on the tower with a pulley system so I can raise and lower it for testing, and do a field strength test in the shack. Head still hurts.

It's to Long!

136ft long for an simple 80m dipole is to long unless your running bottom end of the CW/Extra section...I have found 59 to 62ft(119 to 124ft overall) each side will get the General Phone band in most cases...
Good Luck
All the Best
BJ

Sounds to me like you are a little to long. mine is about 62 feet per side. Since you do have a tuner, replace the coax with twin lead, makes it a doublet, and will tune all bands. Will blow away the G5RV.
Rich

Memorize

I don't know why you guys have taken a negative opinion of me or why the comments about memorizing answers to pass the Extra exam somehow makes me an outsider to be poked fun at or laughed at but let me tell you this is not what ham radio is all about. I used to think this forum was a decent place and i've done nothing but ask a few questions and tried to learn. This is the kind of thing that hinders others from asking any questions. If You don't want me here then too bad i'm here.

Last edited:
Good point, if people cannot help with positive replies, don't answer at all (read: stfu).

I don't know why you guys have taken a negative opinion of me or why the comments about memorizing answers to pass the Extra exam somehow makes me an outsider to be poked fun at or laughed at but let me tell you this is not what ham radio is all about. I used to think this forum was a decent place and i've done nothing but ask a few questions and tried to learn. This is the kind of thing that hinders others from asking any questions. If You don't want me here then BYE

AE-5-RD.....hmmm...I know your call from somewhere.Seems like I heard you on one of the HF bands the other day... if I did I should have tried to contact you....

Maybe we will cross paths soon :)

I picked up my general call after the morse code was dropped....I tried to learn code,but my hearing isnt to good after all the concerts,work,afternoons out shooting rifles without hearing protection :unsure: ... the rythem of the dots and dashes was impossable for me to get ...so for me personally the change in the licenseing requirements worked out well...

I got some burning in my eyes and a headache while testing my 80 meter dipole. I stopped right away. Man that is some serious stuff. I had it hooked to the fence to fence just to see if it recieved better than my G5RV. Recieve was way down so I tried the tuner and thats when i got the burn. I had a 1:1 balun and 136 ft overall length. My swr would not go down. Stupid mistake! I'm going to install it on the tower with a pulley system so I can raise and lower it for testing, and do a field strength test in the shack. Head still hurts.

I got some burning in my eyes and a headache while testing my 80 meter dipole. I stopped right away. Man that is some serious stuff. I had it hooked to the fence to fence just to see if it recieved better than my G5RV. Recieve was way down so I tried the tuner and thats when i got the burn. I had a 1:1 balun and 136 ft overall length. My swr would not go down.
Had the fence been above earth bonding then your receive would have more than likely been at the same or higher lever than your non-fence wire setup and there would not have been any ocular burning.

I have steel siding installed on my home and I got a 1.8:1 match via a tuner when connected to it but it is not bonded to earth so I'm sure that's why my tuner did not see a high impedance mismatch.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that you may have had burning eyes and a headache. But you didn't get them from RF while testing an 80 meter dipole. Unless you had that dipole wrapped around your head? Sorry, just won't happen.
- 'Doc
He was testing at 80 meters while connected to what I assume was a chain link fence which I'm sure had a direct bonding to earth ground.

Don't most types of dipoles do well at at least one or two wave lengths above earth?

Last edited:
Sure it will Doc. All that eye strain from looking at the SWR meter and the frustration of not being able to lower the SWR will indeed give you burning eyes and a headache. That's about the only way it will happen however. :D
He now believes this )burning( was due to being in near vicinity of what I assume was probably a liquid chlorine treatment for a swimming pool which does give off noxious gases when exposed to an oxygen source and will definitely cause ocular irritation.

The dipole was too long as BJ Radionut had already said. It works fine now. No headache or burning! Hah. I think the burning was some pool chemical that was spilled in my radio room. It doubles as a shed.

He now believes this )burning( was due to being in near vicinity of what I assume was probably a liquid chlorine treatment for a swimming pool which does give off noxious gases when exposed to an oxygen source and will definitely cause ocular irritation.

Ummmm, I saw that but thanks for the replay. (y)

I don't know why you guys have taken a negative opinion of me or why the comments about memorizing answers to pass the Extra exam somehow makes me an outsider to be poked fun at or laughed at but let me tell you this is not what ham radio is all about. I used to think this forum was a decent place and I've done nothing but ask a few questions and tried to learn. This is the kind of thing that hinders others from asking any questions. If You don't want me here then BYE

This hobby is just like any other. You have a few that operate on the assumption that there is "THEIR way and the WRONG way". It's the same on every repeater too. Someone just looking to nitpick new comers slip ups.

I think it's great you got your extra. CONGRATS. Some people learn things differently. That's just human nature. You passed, and your legal, end of story.

I got my Tech March 13th by studying the ARRL book and using the QRZ tests.
I got my General last week. Using the above methods was getting me no where. The HamRadioOnline method worked for me. Having the explanation for the Correct & Incorrect answers worked for me. If it works on my Extra studies, fine. If not I'll find what works for me.

DON'T let jerks run you off. You can ignore their name on the forum and that's that.

Stick around. In my short time in this hobby I have found the majority of OT's will give you the shirt off their back to help out those new to the hobby. Enjoy your time with them, and don't worry about the others.

The best thing I did was join a club as soon as I got my ticket. I was treated like one of the family from the start, and can ask any question I'm not sure of.

73's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.