• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CAN A 10 CW METER TRANSCIVER BE MODIFIED?

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
A friend of mine who passed away many years ago left behind some radios. Most of the items were sold off by his son. His wife gave me a call and said she was selling the house and moving to Fla. While the attic was being cleaned out a few item's that were missed poped up. He was a ham. I'm gonna sell those items for her. He son who sold the items thay knew he had now lives in ca. Theirs one transciver I know I'm taking for myself. It's a 1963 sonar mono bannder (10 meter) usb lsb cw transciver. Can it be modified to operate on 11 meter am? I know this would have to be done by a tec if it's even possible. Either way I'm taking it as its a beautiful looking piece of sonar history. It's the first time I've ever heard of one and seen one. So is that in the relm of possibley? I know that purists will say I'm insane for basically ask if that radio can be bucthered. I understand but I'm not a ham nore do I operate cw. Or for that matter I don't operate anywhere above channel 40 or below channel 1. What u say?

The radio has no AM detector for receive and no modulator to put audio on the CW carrier. The Collins IF filter will not pass AM bandwidth either. These issues would certainly make this modification not economical but not impossible. If you just want the power of this rig, there is a much easier option.

The 180 watt PEP amplifier is linear and can be modified to be driven from an external 4 watt source. This still requires a tech to match the drive impedance of the final stage to 50 ohms and rewire the keying relay so the antenna is connected directly to the external CB during RX. The use of an RF sniffer will simplify keying the relay.

I agree with Shockwave 100%. He is right on the money. But, why modify a cool old rig like this? Why not, if you want to use it on 11 meters, just change it over for the desired frequency range, and use it or LSB or USB. You said you don't go above 40 or below 1, but you could use it on 38LSB and talk all over the country, and when conditions are right, all over the world!

Or, use it, and listen in on 10 meters. You will see how we can talk to Japan, Austrailia, New Zealand, parts of the UK easy when the band is open. (just bringing up the contacts I made today, around 5:30 PM PST from my *mobile*.

I don't know if you have powered it on, and see if it works, keep in mind for older gear like this, you really should being up the voltage on it slowly using a variac, and also it probably has a handful or more of paper caps, and other types of capacitors that need changed and with age have changed values. This can happen for older carbon resistors too! Lots of times, people look at tubes first, but usually they are OK, and it's the other components.

If you really want to get an amplifier, or desire to run 11 meter AM, maybe trade someone for this rig, rather than change it around.

If you like tube rigs, get an older Messenger 223, or a Lafayette Comstat 25 series, have a tech go through it, check all the crystals, capacitors, tubes, etc. There s a great plate modulation modification that I used to do to these as well. They can sound great on AM! Then get a tube amplifier and you're set.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Not sure if your just blowing wind but In another post you mentioned you want to become a ham. Keep the radio as is, enjoy it and use it on 10 meters when you get your ticket. There's no reason to hack up a pristine piece of amateur radio gear trying to put it on 11m. I say that and I'm not a purest by any means.

Reactions: 2 people
Can it be done? Sure. But the 'catch' is that it isn't going to be very practical/cheap at all. Changing it's usable frequency range is one thing, adding AM mode is definitely something else! Oh well...
- 'Doc

it wasnt me who said i wanted a tcket.

After bringing it home and having a chance to really look at it I've decided to leave it as is. After thinking about it. It was totally ridiculous to even concider what would be butchering a beautiful transciver. I'm currently using my fs2340 with a no name amp that was given to me by a friend. 33 years ago I using the same radio with a thunderbolt 305. I have a few tube amps that require tunning. As I'm disabled and my disabilities have advanced over the years its a bit difficult for me to tune these amps. A friend of mine gave me a 500 elete with a 12v 35 amp power supply. From what I gather its a Palomar without the Palomar name printed on it. First time using a transitorized amp. Just switch it on and go. Surprisingly it's a nice amp. I would never concider using the mono bander for an amp. If it weren't a sonar I would have past on it. I have no current plans for it and will keep it boxed up with the rest of the oldies but goodies. Thanks for the info. Dx is the best foum on the net for radio related issues.

:)
Take a look at the circuit for that 30 year old amplifier and I'll bet there's not 2 pence worth of difference from the newer ones. Same circuit, different components and builders...
Can't do the tuning? Then you have two basic choices. Pay a lot extra for a 'self tuning' amplifier or one that uses a 'no-tune' circuit. Both have advantages/disadvantages, use the one that you can afford/live with.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio