• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I make the squelch knob control RF gain

I finally bought a Uniden 505 today from DTB. Could've bought it off Amazon for $29+free shipping but ordering it from DTB I will have it tuned and aligned. It costs extra on on cheap radios. Not enough markup.
I had called and had DTB send me a PayPal invoice because the webpage checkout section is wonky at the moment. :whistle:

Last edited:
I had a 510XL which is a 520XL minus the RF gain. I thought it was a pretty solid little radio for the price. I got it for $20 a few years ago on ebay, used. I got it for the wife to put in her car. I found a new in box Midland 1001z for $20 and thought it was a steal. I took the 510XL out and gave it to a buddy. I installed the Midland and began my regret. What a pile of turd. The Midland is very cheap. Audio quality goes down hill fast. Transmit range was equal to any other FFC approved CB. It sounds ok sometimes, then after a few key ups it becomes distorted and scratchy. It was to the point it was hard to understand her. I eventually took it out and put my old Galaxy 929 in and problem solved. I tried to sell the Midland, and to no surprise, no one would even pay the shipping if I gave it away. I was able to pawn it off on my step father to put in his old plow truck and said good riddance.

You may not have all the bells and whistles in that little Uniden, but they build a pretty good radio. And DTB does a heck of a tune so it should sound good and last a while too. You made a good choice choosing the Uniden over the Midland.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea because I don't have the know how or expertise to spread a coil like CBRadioMagazine says he had to do to adjust the power on the 505 he tested. No AMC pot!? Gotta know how to get around that one as well. No radio schematic!? I guess DTB knows his way around a circuit board.
Uniden Pro 505 XL CB Radio Review

Talkback: A resistor between the ext. spkr&PA outputs? Wonder what value?

Last edited:
If you look carefully at this video you will see that he appears to have flipped an add on switch on the back of the radio in the video immediately after he did checked the power output. You can even hear it click. Unless there's a A/B antenna switch back there.
It did swing up to 30 watts though.
Uniden Pro-505XL Tune-up Report - YouTube
:blink:

Last edited:
If you look carefully at this video you will see that he appears to have flipped an add on switch on the back of the radio in the video immediately after he did checked the power output. You can even hear it click. Unless there's a A/B antenna switch back there.
It did swing up to 30 watts though.
Uniden Pro-505XL Tune-up Report - YouTube
:blink:

I am guessing that he has an antenna switch. When he takes his power readings, he is probably transmitting into a dummy load. This guy is good. I had him repair/look over my Uniden Madison a few months back. I finally got it hooked up by sticking a K30 out the window on the metal roof. I was using it the other night and kept getting "I can't believe how good that sounds." I just sent Screwdriver my old Uniden PC76 XLW for repair and tune up yesterday. I can't wait to get it back. When I get my truck back from my wife, I'm sending him my Galaxy 95t2 as well.

At least I'll get to see if the DTB tuned and aligned 505 version is comparable with Bells. That and a Bandit Preamp/Attenuator and a power mic.
For a silver version of the 505 buy a Radio Shack compact CB for $49

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.