• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can it snow and thunderstorm all at the same time?

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
What do you think? Have YOU ever seen it snow like a sonuvagun with lightning and thunder at the same time? How many think this can't happen?

CWM

What do you think? Have YOU ever seen it snow like a sonuvagun with lightning and thunder at the same time? How many think this can't happen?

CWM

Absolutely, and I witnessed it here at the Jersey shore during the winter of '83 / '84.
It's a very rare event, but it does happen when the conditions are right. It was one of our heavier snow storms that rode in on the back of a coastal Nor'Easter. Nor'Easters are serious low pressure systems that ride up the coast bringing warm upper air currents that circulate in with cold air currents from the north, these conditions don't normally create thunder and lightning, but when certain other factors come into play it does become a rare possibility, one that I have only witnessed once in my 51+ years, but it did happen, I witnessed it happen, and I'll attest to the fact that it can and does happen.......

I was raised on the Texas Gulf coast, so I count it quite the experience to have seen that very thing once here in Northwest Arkansas this past January '09.

It happens at least once or twice a year here. We had one instance back about christmas time.I awoke to what I thought was the plow running the blade on the pavement.Turned out to be long rolls of thunder and quite a snowstorm. The sky looks really freaky when the lightning lights up all that falling snow.

Snow/Thunderstorm

Hello:

Well let me tell you that we call it Thundersnow up here by Lake Superior-It is really
Cool and Neat-but you better take cover ,Ive seen it hit the local watertower in a whiteout
Blizzard here 3 times this winter-its Beautiful when over lake Superior in a Blizzard-I think
its Ground to sky lightning/thunder-then we get small white pellets of snow-they call it
Arctic snow ??? Ive been out in a blizzard deer hunting and seen it hit a Beach tree 40
yrds in front of me and glance to the ground and you can smell the Ozone !! now thats close
I dont care for it much when iam outdoors in the forest playing. Take Care-73/DX

Paul-K8PG

Last edited:
yup

ive seen it happen as well....in wyoming if i remember correctly....looked pretty cool as i was rolling down the road

lewis black <the comedian> has a pretty good bit about it

Well Iv'e seen it happen up here twice now, last week we had sherriff deputies reporting to dispatched that they thought a transformer had blown. I called dispatch and told them it was lightening out because we saw it too and have it on video capture. my work is 17miles away from the nearest officer reporting. It really was quite pretty out over lake michigan, really accenting the snow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio