• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you parallel Zener Diodes?

Crusher

May 12, 2007
Louisville, KY
Have a circuit where i can use Zener diodes, but cannot find high enough wattage rating. Is it OK to parallel 2 zeners and should I worry about puttinga small resistor on leads to balance them out or as long as I use same batch should be fine?

No, you can't.

Since the breakdown voltage will never be identical between the two zeners, one diode will always swamp out the other and conduct the most current, until it burns out. Then the other diode will start carrying the load until it burns out, too.

Adding a resistor in series will help distribute the current more evenly. But unfortunately it will also add a linear section to the curve and the reason you're using zeners is specifically because they are NOT linear. You'll be destroying their ability to sharply clamp voltage.

Find a bigger diode.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the reply.Kinda thought so but was not sure. Had some 50 watt zeners, but need just a bit more. Something like a 75 or 100 watt. Might try zener with heavy duty pass transistor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.