• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cant talk to dispatcher

roy46ca

Oct 24, 2016
i recently purchased a pair of baofeng uv-5r dual band radios
i work as a readymix concrete driver and iwas hoping to be able to talk to my dispatcher with these radios
the frequency we use is 172.375 if both hand held radios are on this frequency you can talk back and forth between them but i can hear the dispatcher but he cant hear the the handheld
is there any settings on the radio i can adjust

If the dispatcher or whoever needs to be able to communicate both ways with you in your vehicle, it's up to him to provide you with the right radio. Captain KW hit on one strong possibility.

Trick question: what are you using for an antenna?

i wanted something just to have with me in the yard which would be only a few hundred feet from his office

a ctcss toneset is that something i could do myself

Yes. It is a low frequency,low volume tone that is sent when you press the PTT button. The receiver on the other end needs it to open the squelch. Not all radios require this but a lot of business radios do especially on shared frequencies. It is part of the programming of frequencies in your radio. You would need to know what tone to set however.

don't know if what your doing is legal or not,, but the Baofeng radio has a scan mode for finding the CTCSS tone, read the instructions and it will tell you how to enter that mode,,, then when the other radio transmits your radio will scan the ctcss codes and stop on the one you need,, you can then program that tone in along with your transmit and receive frequency into a memory channel.

Might check https://www.radioreference.com/ this is a good site for public service frequencies and they also have private industry as well. It will tell you if the business is using simplex or a repeater. There is an option for "other agencies" also an option to show input frequency. Will also tell you of ctcss or dcs used. Good Luck.

Maybe the "ca" stands for "Canada" ?

Set both radios for "Simplex" mode with the tone tuned off. Try low power setting (2 watts) for better battery life and see if that works 1st. If not, set for high power (4 watts)

The rubber ducky antennas that come with those BF radios are pretty useless, but most aftermarket antennas are for amateur radio frequencies and do not cover 172.375 MHz well. This flexible antenna is a bit longer, would be better than stock and doesn't break the bank at $17...

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-sma-209j

is this thru a repeater or simplex?

BTW, that freq is assigned to the DEPT of FORESTRY and FIREFIGHTNG in the U.S.

Wouldn't matter simplex or repeater. Local farms here yse both simplex and a shared repeater. CTCSS is used both simplex and on the repeater. It's whatever the user wanted it set up as or was required if using a shared system. It alsp helps keep idiots from jumping onto the frequency.

thanks for all the suggestions
yes i am in canada
when i am in my truck that has a company radio and i key the mike to talk the red button on the radio stays lit
when i press the talk button on my hand held the red light flashes
i wanted to be able to use the handheld just for my convenience if i was in the coffee shop accross the street and they called for me

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.