• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cap Kit, wtb

Cable Guy

Void where prohibited
Dec 29, 2010
West Tennessee
Hi I have seen a post, don't remember it but it listed a guy who sells cap kits. I can't find him but maybe he will see this. I need to recap a cobra 2k gtl and don't want fake or cheap knock off capacitors.

Thanks
Greg

Download the service manual and go through the parts list to get the values/voltage rating of all the electrolytic caps, and make a list. Figure out quantities of each type of cap, and order from Digikey or Mouser. Should be a significant cost reduction compared to a pre-made kit, for maybe an hour of your time.

Reactions: Cable Guy
Thanks for passing that on. I could order from mouser or dk. I have the sam's with the parts list but really just want some convenience as I usually won't allow myself the luxury of such things. I always choose the most frugal options, but I'd kinda like someone else to do the mundane for me this time. I "might" even get to spend that hour actually talking on my radio instead of working on one. But if not, I get a better conversation from a schematic anyways. Thanks again.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
My shop stocks nearly any capacitor needed to do this sort of restoration, but we recommend Mike's kits as a labor saver. The time I would spend with the parts list and a sack in my stock room costs way more than Mike's kits. Yes, I probably paid less than his total for the parts alone, but pulling two or three dozen of them off the shelf proves to be time consuming. Labor saved is money saved around here, and Mike's parts are the real McCoy.

I understand that. I have a large assortment of capacitor values but some are questionable as I have nearly exhausted my supply of nichicon's and rubycon's. I have some JB's that I use for certain things but NOT for this application. Years ago when I first started this electronics repair venture I made a mistake, as many have, and ordered too many capacitors of questionable origin, thinking "it's just a capacitor, what dif can it really make who made it?" I have since swallowed my ignorance and use the chongx as firecrackers to entertain my friends.

I recently started selling a cap kit for the Palomar 300A on fleabay. Only six capacitors total, and a couple of bleeder resistors. I keep the 450-Volt caps in stock, so it seemed worth a shot.

Doesn't set the barn on fire, but it helps pay the firewood bill. Fewer and fewer places to buy 450-Volt electrolytics every year.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.