• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

car - antenna install question

i just read through several of the inst peices for their clamp on mounts ... and in none of them does it state about making sure it is properly grounded ... plus the mounts are powder-coated / painted so they do not make metal / metal contact to where ever they are clamped ... the only contact it has to ground is through the coax ...

its looking like the K540 or K550 will do what i need ... just need to figure out which to get .. the roof rack bars are 1" by 1.3" rectangle the 540 handles up to 7/8" but the 550 can handle other odd shapes ...

but i may go with a rack from Yakima instead of Thule ... (thule has the rectangle bars, Yakima has round bars... just do not know their Dia just yet)

one of those tied in with a NR770HB i think would do what i need it to.

Those Diamond mounts provide in the link above are very high quality and very strong. I've seen some antennas mounted on those things that were much larger than I though possible. Diamond has different sizes of mounts that you should use depending on the size of the antenna.

Here is the link to the complete line of mobile antenna mounts that they make:

Diamond® Antenna ~ Mobile Antenna Mounts

This Diamond K9000 motorized mount is very cool, and it works well. I have seen this installed on several different local vehicles and none of them have reported any problems (if you stay within the antenna size design specs!)

K9000LRM%20down.jpg

You can see that you can mount it in several locations, as well:

K9000_7.jpg

K9000_6.jpg

It's a little pricey, but it does work good. In the above image you can see the groove mount that the motorized mount is installed on.

For just a standard luggage mount without the motor, you could go with something like this Diamond K500:

K515_2.jpg

Most VHF/UHF antennas by Comet and Diamond DO NOT NEED A GROUND.

Be careful with this and read the specs. This is true of a lot of the vertical cophased antennas that have a 1/2 wave section as the bottom section

yeah the email i got back from Diamond stated

The NR770HB is a ½ wave antenna and does not require a ground. There is no need to run a ground wire.

so all is good ... now to figure out between the two mounts (not sure about going with the motorized one, but it would be in the center of the roof so that would be easier to fold over then having to get out and do it.)

the rack with the round cross bars are 1 and 1/8" in dia ... so its looking like the K550 may be the one i need to go with no matter which rack setup i use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.