• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Carry that Weight . . .

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I'm putting up a Sirio SY-4 4 element beam on a 32 ft push-up pole. The beam antenna weighs about 13 1/2 lbs. The CDE AR-22 rotor weighs in @ 10 lbs. The push-up pole will be secured with dacron rope just below the rotor, then secured to the frame of the building at the base.

I'd like to put my Imax 3 ft above the beam; it is ~22 1/2 ft long and weighs 10 lbs. But would it overload the rotor doing it this way?
We seldom see winds over 50 mph around here. The beam is 13 1/2 ft long and 18 ft wide.

I haven't found any specifications for that rotor; so right now I'm guessing it will work.

Last edited:

Weight I don't see beeing an issue. If you had that mounted in a tower so the mast was supported by a bearing at the top of the tower that would be the best. With the push up there well be a lot of side load with whatever winds are blowing on that tall omni above the beam. It probably will be ok, just see that as the only issue.

I don't know anything about your rotor so don't take this as gospel! I figure the weight would be within it's abilities, but the biggy would be the forces applied by wind, and I'm not so sure about that. Your antennas would present a fairly big 'sail' area, and a large stress on how that rotor is mounted. If it were mounted inside a tower structure, it'd probably work okay. On a mast, I think I'd worry about it!
I feel more comfortable if there's a lot of 'over-kill' with that sort of thing, finding things on the ground is NO fun.
I also think you'd better count on doing more guying than you think is 'just' adequate...
- 'Doc

That is asking a lot of a push up pole.

Vertically the weight would be fine. Once a wind starts whipping around like some of those afternoon thunderstorms experienced here in Florida it becomes a whole different game.

50 mph winds against an 18 foot boom, That is some wind load.

That will be a great antenna farm for 10/11 meters, I suggest shop around and try to find some tower on the used market, It is worth the investment and you can also use the tower to run some dipoles or slopers or inverted V's.

That is asking a lot of a push up pole.

Vertically the weight would be fine. Once a wind starts whipping around like some of those afternoon thunderstorms experienced here in Florida it becomes a whole different game.

50 mph winds against an 18 foot boom, That is some wind load.

That will be a great antenna farm for 10/11 meters, I suggest shop around and try to find some tower on the used market, It is worth the investment and you can also use the tower to run some dipoles or slopers or inverted V's.

If his pole doesn't twist off first.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.