• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Go Box Project

This is my go box as of two weeks ago, i have since added a coax switch and another antenna mount (SO 239 for a dipole). I have also mounted a rig runner for power distribution. My battery is a 40 ah battery that when it arrives will be toward the right side of the box. Hope to have it up and running by weeks end

Attachments

• 20170909_235727.jpg
    20170909_235727.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Dragon449
I don't quite understand the purpose of the box. Is it for temporary storage or is it for permanently mounting radios in?
Everything would be permanently installed wired up and ready to go, the idea is to have a full station that can be set up anywhere with minimal fuss. Think of it as a slip seat box for people who walk a lot.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Some guys will add a 12.5v 100w solar panel to their go box, if their budget allows. Think Harbor freight carries those. They are fragile, but if the go box has enough space and you store it right, it could make a big difference in efficiency. Especially if you get a charging regulator with it to keep the battery topped of for use. Downside to this, is that many solar panel inverters make boo coo noise in the system.

Think I would be far more concerned about using a really good antenna rather than burning up a lot of extra current from the battery with a 200w amp. No more than 100w amp would be more ideal - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Some guys will add a 12.5v 100w solar panel to their go box, if their budget allows. Think Harbor freight carries those. They are fragile, but if the go box has enough space and you store it right, it could make a big difference in efficiency. Especially if you get a charging regulator with it to keep the battery topped of for use. Downside to this, is that many solar panel inverters make boo coo noise in the system.

Think I would be far more concerned about using a really good antenna rather than burning up a lot of extra current from the battery with a 200w amp. No more than 100w amp would be more ideal - IMO . . .

After I initially get this up and running and make sure all is working fine, i plan on adding a genasun solar charge controller and perhaps a powerfilm fold able or roll able solar panel so i can recharge off the grid.

This rig has two antenna hook ups that can be easily toggled. One will be with a firestik type antenna for close range, the other will be for a dipole that should allow me to get out a little further.

The kicker i have installed is 100w on AM and 200w pep ssb.

80AB55E8-E581-40BC-8F9D-26B7F57B79AD_zpsmzdcbxgh.jpg

This is the go box I put together about a year ago mostly to take camping and safely transport the radio. There is a 120 power supply in the box when I finished, I also could use a 12v motorcycle battery that I have. I would just pull the power connectors out when I used the setup.

Reactions: 2RT307 and NF822WNY
80AB55E8-E581-40BC-8F9D-26B7F57B79AD_zpsmzdcbxgh.jpg

This is the go box I put together about a year ago mostly to take camping and safely transport the radio. There is a 120 power supply in the box when I finished, I also could use a 12v motorcycle battery that I have. I would just pull the power connectors out when I used the setup.

Wow! this is awesome

NF822WNY : Thanks for sharing this with your thread. I have been interested in doing something similar myself and getting into this smaller niche of the hobby. Have you ever played with the T2LT vertical dipole? All you need is some coax and a collapsing fishing pole and you have a very portable and easy to erect vertical antenna. I have made a few versions of it myself and its quite effective.

Well, i did my first test of the go box outside last night in the back yard. Strung up my dipole (inverted v) and got a little frustrated. The receive was great, i was picking up chatter on most every station. (1-40) I think a little skip was in our favor last night as well. Problem was that i couldn't get anyone to hear me! I initial set up was East to West then i changed to North to South. Reception changed slightly favoring the broadside but i still couldn't get a copy, not even locally. As far as height it could have been better i had the center of the dipole up about 15-20 feet. I was hoping this would work a bit better. May have to switch up my antenna or something. Any advise is welcome.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.