1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Milage Limit

Discussion in 'FCC Activity' started by Sonwatcher, Jul 9, 2005.

1. wildchild455

wildchild455
    Expand Collapse

Well first of all I do hold a amateur radio license and also have a CB in the house. My point is those rules and regulations are so outdated they need to be addressed (But That's Governments For You too Little Too Late) That way we just might get those that think they can cause interference on the 10 meter band will move some wheres else.

2. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew
    Expand Collapse

The FCC will always have a choice, the reason why operators get away with freebanding is because the FCC doesn't try to catch them not because they can't. Sometimes I wonder if the FCC didn't already pencil some of those frequencies in as CB and they just don't make it official because they know if they did people would just move farther out to stay outside the limits.

Keep in mind that if they expand the frequency range of the CB band all those morons who bought a radio at Wallymart who you go to the freebands to get away from will be right there with you.

3. codeman

codeman
    Expand Collapse
    Recovering Crackerhead

I did not want to start a new topic so I am posting my question here.

I know there are many variables, this morning I am at the property where I grew up, I got on the radio this morning on LSB, to say hello to some of the guys around the area. Anyway I heard an operator I hadn't heard before. I found out he was about 95 air miles from me. I didn't have much signal from him but heard him very clearly. He said he could hear me but well enough to work me. I know he is running a base not sure what setup. I am running a Uniden 980 with a RM 203 with a 4.5 ft antenna mounted on my toolbox. I am 30 miles south of San Antonio and he is west of San Antonio in the hill country at about 1700 ft elevation. So was this groundwave? I'm guessing his elevation and antenna had plenty to do with the contact.
    I've talked 50-60 miles a few times on sideband but never thought I could make 90 plus miles from a mobile.
    I did have to have another operator relay for me a couple times, but I heard him just fine.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop
    Expand Collapse

Groundwave is quite common at that distance. Here is the best I've done mobile to mobile on AM.
    downloadfile-1.jpg

codeman likes this.
  5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Actually the term "ground wave" is one of those often used but most misunderstood terms. Technically it was NOT groundwave since groundwave propagation does not occur nearly that high in frequency and dies out in the bottom of the HF range after about 3 MHz. Most CBers however refer to any contact not DX or bounced off the ionosphere as groundwave. The actual mode of propagation was likely surface wave.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_wave_propagation

Tallman, n8fgb, Road Squawker and 3 others like this.
  6. silver devil

silver devil
    Expand Collapse

Dude thats why i live in a dumpy town and in an old house so i can put up what i want..

7. silver devil

silver devil
    Expand Collapse

Thats always the answer to everything. Not all CBers want to be hams...

8. w9cll

w9cll
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

That is perfectly fine but don't ask for more power or band space. You can have what you want but you have to move up to ham.

9. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew
    Expand Collapse

If more power or band space was legal running that much power or band space wouldn't be as much fun anymore.;)

LeapFrog likes this.
  10. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I doubt that many CBers could qualify for anything above technician level. Sorry about that but your answer was somewhat snooty so I had to return the favor.
    But it is true if you want more power and frequencies get your ham ticket.
    Learn to use it responsibly and properly.

Road Squawker and n8fgb like this.
  11. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if I would call his answer "snooty", I know I myself get tired of hearing "get a ticket" in every other thread. Some people just aren't interested in getting a ticket.

338_MtRushmore and codeman like this.
  12. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

So what they really want then is something for nothing. They want the benefits without any of the responsibilities or effort to get it. :whistle:

13. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew
    Expand Collapse

While I can"t speak for others I personally have no problem with the responsibilities or effort, I have actually been interested in getting a ticket in the past. Truth be told it's the community that turned me off.

#103 StrangeBrew, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    ExitThirteen and codeman like this.
  14. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

If you want more, earn it. Everybody wants everything but doesn't want to pay for it.
    "You can earn it if you learn it."

BJ radionut and undertaker like this.
  15. nomadradio

nomadradio
    Expand Collapse
    Analog Retentive

Here's the dirty secret of the ham license tests. It's called the "question pool".

Can't remember how many questions there are in each pool for each class of test, but it's a fixed number.

EVERY test is a list of questions pulled from that pool.

If you take the free online "sample" tests, and pay attention to the correct answer to the ones that you get wrong, your score will improve, bit by bit.

Eventually you will have seen every question in the pool. And the answer to each one.

Once you start passing the sample test 8 or 9 times out of ten, it's time to roll the dice and take the real test.

Sure, study guides are good, and instructional videos are helpful.

But the brute-force approach will work if you just keep it up until you pass the real test.