• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Radio Installation?

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
I own a 2005 F350 and I want to put a CB on the hump and have it face up so I can see it when I'm driving. I cant find anything that will mount it.
I also want to put an antenna on the truck but I want it mounted to the mirrors but the mirrors are plastic I don't know if it will work. Any ideas will be a big help.
I have a Cobra 25 LTD to put in my truck I hope this is a good radio?

You may have to make your own mount, as for the 25 I currently use one as a base pushing a little 100 watt amp into a A99 and it sounds and works great.

Thank you for the reply.I guess that is what I will do to get the mount that I want. You put out 100 watts? I'm new at this so I keep reading all that I can find out to get it the way I want it.

Hi...

Not a good idea to use a mirro mount on a plastic mirror
Perhaps a good Mag Mount (heavy duty if you want one of those good Preditor 10K or my coily antennas)

if headliner not large enough for the CB i am sure there is plenty of room to mount under clove box or center console

Thank You EDUK8TK for the help I fount the one I want. The Boss Hawg because I keep a tonneau on my bed. Now I have to get an antenna! I know very little about CB Radios. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I don't want to purchase something and then find out that it will not work. The information you gave me will keep me from purchasing something that will not work!

skirk55 said:
Thank You EDUK8TK for the help I fount the one I want. The Boss Hawg because I keep a tonneau on my bed. Now I have to get an antenna! I know very little about CB Radios. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I don't want to purchase something and then find out that it will not work. The information you gave me will keep me from purchasing something that will not work!

That's the one I'm using. If you need any pointers let me know. You will need to make some modifications to the tonneau to get this mount to work.

73's ;)home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1106141065028987393YymWqU

skirk55 said:
What antenna did you use? How long?

I'm using a "Mr. Coily" that has a 32 inch mast to the base of the coil and I believe is around 8 ft long. rides.webshots.com/photo/2524840190028987393DvTeEt If you mount here rides.webshots.com/photo/1211307250028987393zZnanWrides.webshots.com/photo/1211307250028987393zZnanW behind the cab, just make sure the coil portion of your antenna is above the cab. If you don't want one of these large antennas you might try one of the Wilson trucker antennas that can be had with a 22 inch mast. www.1stopelectronics.com/shop/index.php?rec=0&shop=1&cart=642866&cat=54&keywords=&match_criteria=&searchCat=(scroll to the bottom of this page, the 22 inch is available for order in the pull-down menu) I'm don't know what the height of your cab is but the coil really needs to be above the cab to achieve a proper SWR without undue reflected power. The other antenna I use while on vacation is a Hustler fold down. It can be had from Amateur Electonic Supply. This link is to the PDF. page of their catalog [www.aesham.com/pdf/page81-84.pdf If you look on page 83 you'll see the components needed. Which are the MO-1 or MO-2 fold over masts. I have the MO-1. Then you need the resonator "coil" that screws onto the mast. You could get the RM-11 Standard which will handle 400W or the RM11S Super which is rated at 1KW. As I mentioned I use this antenna on vacation for when I encounter the low ceilings and over hangs of parking garages. With the fifteen inch fold-over model "MO-1" I can reach over and pull down the sleve of the hinge and it folds down out of the way. In the folded down postition the mast can also be rotated. There may be other antennas that may fit the bill here for a behind the cab install, I'm sure others following this thread could provide optional advice for your selection. Sorry to be so long winded on this. Hope this helps ;)

73's :!:

For years I only went to Radio Shack. I had no idea that there were antennas like this! :shock: I want to get the best reception that I can get. I'm getting a good education in CB antennas this has been a big help. I want to do this one time and get the best results. Thank you.

There is a antenna mount that fits into the rail holes on your bed. No screws in the bed, it has an expanding collar that fits in the hole. It also has a grounding hole so that you can ground the antenna. Very clean and neat looking. I don't know who makes it. Investigate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.