• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB today

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
It has been a good 30 years since I gave up on CB. There was nothing but a constant drone of noise from 50 people trying to talk at once. The manners & language made me blush, and I refused to have my wife even hear it.

Have the airways been cleaned up?
Has technology helped with the noise problem?

People, it was so long ago that I even had a legal license! I guess you don't need one now?

I'm going to get my HAM license soon, and wondered If i was wasting money on a new CB unit. I might consider a mobile CB, but I guess the HAM mobile would pretty much no every thing plus more?

Thanks

Gene

welcome to the forum gene . how clean the airwaves are is gonna depend on where you are . some places and channels are cleaner it terms of noise and language than others , its always a good bet to stay off of 19 if language is a concern no matter where you are .

the newer radios have some features built in that older radios didnt and theres also the option of exports and some of them can do several hundred watts out the back of the radio . im with the group of folks though that think actual transmit and recieve ability is more important and think the old school radios are better at that . a seperate amp can be used if you want more power .

if you still got your old setup let us know what it is . ;)

Welcome to the forum Gene..

Many good people on this forum..

Unfortunately..
Most areas is still ripe with the less then good language on cb
However there ha been in some ways improvement (with better manors...sort of)
Many on CB use crazy power now..

I actually had a legal license as well back in the day
( you are not the only old time cber here...lol)

I still find CB the way to go to keep informed on a road trip. It works better than a radar detector any day, and I can find out about road conditions faster than broadcast radio. I also off-road in my Jeep, and a lot of those guys don't have ham licenses. However, if you want to talk all over the world and have incredible radio coverage on HF and VHF/UHF repeaters, amateur radio is the way to go. There is a place for both CB & Ham, and despite what many will tell you, you can do both and be happy.

It has been a good 30 years since I gave up on CB. There was nothing but a constant drone of noise from 50 people trying to talk at once. The manners & language made me blush, and I refused to have my wife even hear it.

Have the airways been cleaned up?
Has technology helped with the noise problem?

People, it was so long ago that I even had a legal license! I guess you don't need one now?

I'm going to get my HAM license soon, and wondered If i was wasting money on a new CB unit. I might consider a mobile CB, but I guess the HAM mobile would pretty much no every thing plus more?

Thanks

Gene

The CB has cleared up because the sunspot cycle is not like it used to be. The CB is cleaner than it used to be because all the idiots that used to start trouble are now on the 75 meters doing the same thing. They've evolved to ham radio. The other day, my wife yelled down the stairs about all the foul language and told me to turn off the CB. Problem was the CB was off and I was on the 75 meter band. They were on the 75 meter band keying up on each other and cussing each other out on who was on frequency first. Remember back in the day when everyone was fighting over the channel. It still happens but now it's on the 75 meter cb band.

Here is a taste of the 75 meter band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtozGunVQQ&feature=related

CB,HAM, it makes no difference. this kind of crap has always gone on and will always gone on. If I had a dollar for every time I had heard "This is my/our channel, go find your own", I would not be working for a living today.

Never have understood the immature attitudes on the radio.

Never will.

I attribute it to a lack of character and maturity on the part of the operator.

My Father used to tell me "If you want to be treated like a professional, act professionally".

Good words from a wise man.

CB,HAM, it makes no difference. this kind of crap has always gone on and will always gone on. If I had a dollar for every time I had heard "This is my/our channel, go find your own", I would not be working for a living today.

Never will.

My Father used to tell me "If you want to be treated like a professional, act professionally".

This is my thread so take off.

Oh yeah? you meet at Wal-Mart in the parking lot in 1 hour and I will show you the bloody end of your channel "Good Buddy"!

I ain't skeered of you or your CB Buddy's, bring em with you and I will whip the whole lot of you right there!

:LOL:

Never will.

So HAM is not monitored for language violations, or is it impossible to monitor so many operators?

So HAM is not monitored for language violations, or is it impossible to monitor so many operators?
It's a self-monitoring body. If someone screws up enough or badly enough, any Ham can go straight to the FCC via email and register a complaint. FCC listens - will act if it is something grevious enough. A Ham license can be revoked!
Just like a drivers license - except all Hams are cops. Fun - huh?

It's a self-monitoring body. If someone screws up enough or badly enough, any Ham can go straight to the FCC via email and register a complaint. FCC listens - will act if it is something grevious enough. A Ham license can be revoked!
Just like a drivers license - except all Hams are cops. Fun - huh?

You forgot to add that some Hams are not only cops, they are also radio gods with the ability to determine who should be allowed to do what and where.

The other end of the immature extreme in my humble and often ignorant opinion.

I will use the policing of eBay for "Illegal equipment" as an example. What a waste of time and effort.

You forgot to add that some Hams are not only cops, they are also radio gods with the ability to determine who should be allowed to do what and where.

The other end of the immature extreme in my humble and often ignorant opinion.

I will use the policing of eBay for "Illegal equipment" as an example. What a waste of time and effort.

100% Correct.
I couldn't agree more.
Strange that some Hams discriminate against other Hams for being no-coders or even against their using a CB.
Plain Weird...

Oh you just don't know. I had my ticket over 20 years ago, even joined the local club for about 1 week. That was when the director of the local club informed me that I needed to get rid of all of my CB equipment and sever all ties with my "lowlife" (his exact word) CB buddies.
That kind shaded my views of Hams right then and there, kept running into that attitude more often than not and finally said screw it, these people don't need people like me to talk to because I refused to be as closed minded as they were.
End of story.....let my license lapse, stayed in the "Lowlife" CB hobby and never looked back.

I am better at some things in life than other people and other people are better at some things than I am. I am not better than anyone else period.

Get my meaning? ;)

(Except MackMobile, everybody is better than Mack) :laugh:

And MM is absolutely correct with his post about BPL. That will wreck more than HF if it ever becomes accepted and goes into wide spread use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.