• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cbs losing there volume outta speaker andor external speaker

hotrod

Feb 16, 2007
n.w pennsylvania
hello everyone, so i gotta situation last 2 radios i had in my mobile lost there volume outta speaker .i even tried a external one with no luck. i popped open the covers just to make sure speaker is connected it is. my mfj259 shws swr at 1.1.1 R=52 X=0. i dont know what happened but i now have 2 radios with no volume still recives fine and tx fine .imagine turning ya squelch all way up same effect here.im lost on this one

Believe it or not, I have experienced having good readings on an mfj269 and upon connecting to radio and keying up, RX and TX would take a dump. Ended up being s single strand of outer shield wire that was just touching the center pin area. The MFJ meter didn't pick it up. Maybe not enough power being applied? Not sure, but at any rate, re check your connections at both the radio and antenna. And if your have a meter in line, check that jumper as well. It might not be the issue at all, but I have found that when putting on PL259's that some directions that are given to put them together don't jive with the way I put them together I suppose. At any rate a sliver of wire might not show with just a small amount of power applied, but like I said, once hooked up to a radio and it has a load, it may act different. Also check for any pinches or even a cut in your coax. Again, just some things I have experienced. Hope you get it resolved. Good luck.

Reactions: midnight special
thanks for replies guys. im using different mics on the different radio .[each has thier own mic] the radios are a grant xl and ar 3500. so 20-30 yrs old [guessing].. 222 i am going to try your idea i was actually thiking about that but now im really considering it now. i will post back results

Reactions: 222DBFL
I would take the PL259 apart at the radio and check for any strands of wire that may be touching or very close to the center pin, and might be arcing.
If this fails, you got me.
Also if you want to check the mag mount, you'll need to take the antenna off and see what type connector it is. If it's an SO239, test it just like you would a jumper. Inside to inside, then outer to outer. It may not show a short with no power either, as I stated, sometimes things don't become issue until you actually start transmitting. It sounds weird I know, but I have seen it. Try wiggling your connector at the radio, and also at the antenna end. Hope you get it fixed.
Also let me ask have these radios been leaked and tuned?? Might also be some harmonics at the actual radio itself that had caused the speakers to go out. It's a head scratcher for sure. Like I said, just replace the connector at the radio I possible. It really won't hurt anything!! Again, hope ylu find the issue.

30 year old radios??

Corrosion on contacts to switches.
Before I would do any destructive investigation I would get a can of de oxit and clean/exercise every switch in the radios, it may be

Something as simple as the PA/CB switch not making contact.

OR it may be that the audio amp went out in both your radios, hard to believe both went out but they are older rigs and the caps may be drying up in them.

That was what made me think of something else as well Wavrider. I know cleaning the all the switches and making sure all corrosion is off as well as to pop the lid and have a look as well. Like you said, it's just hard to believe it happened to 2 different radios. I know they are old, but it still makes me wonder if there is an underlying issue. I totally agree that all the switches should be cleaned before you rip anything apart and also try plugging in coax to radio and then wiggling each end at both the radio and the antenna. Also you may have some watt instrusion under your antenna or in between the base and SO239. I would check under the antenna first, and if it has a rubber boot remove it as well and check for moisture. This has happened to me before as well and it can make all sorts of things happen. Water is a good conductor of electricity. Just some food for thought. Don't know if you have just installed the mag mount or if it's been there in the same spot for a while. Hope this might help. Again, here's to hoping you find the issue!!

That was what made me think of something else as well Wavrider. I know cleaning the all the switches and making sure all corrosion is off as well as to pop the lid and have a look as well. Like you said, it's just hard to believe it happened to 2 different radios. I know they are old, but it still makes me wonder if there is an underlying issue. I totally agree that all the switches should be cleaned before you rip anything apart and also try plugging in coax to radio and then wiggling each end at both the radio and the antenna. Also you may have some watt instrusion under your antenna or in between the base and SO239. I would check under the antenna first, and if it has a rubber boot remove it as well and check for moisture. This has happened to me before as well and it can make all sorts of things happen. Water is a good conductor of electricity. Just some food for thought. Don't know if you have just installed the mag mount or if it's been there in the same spot for a while. Hope this might help. Again, here's to hoping you find the issue!!
sorry on the wait. funny thing happend today on the ar3500 the recieve came back in the house about 3 days after taking it out. now im afraid to put it back in. this weekend ill have a lil more free time. give me some more details about checking my magnet mount

sorry on the wait. funny thing happend today on the ar3500 the recieve came back in the house about 3 days after taking it out. now im afraid to put it back in. this weekend ill have a lil more free time. give me some more details about checking my magnet mount
checked out the antenna today . unscrewed the coil checked the so239 side to side and got continuty. then did the same for the pl259 and continuty..seems like antenna is ok ??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.