• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cell Tower affecting guitar amplifier

Yreva

Oct 19, 2022
Hi all,
I’m hoping someone here might be able to make some suggestions for a problem I’m having with a nearby cell tower. I’m hearing a high frequency oscillating static punctuated with an occasional beep from my guitar amplifiers. It’s not my wiring as I’m observing the same thing with various amps both tube and solid state, even battery powered ones. When I use the amps in my basement no problem. What options do I have as far as shielding a guitar amp from this? My guitar tech of 40 years is grasping at straws. I know this forum is a shot in the dark but I’m determined to find a solution.
Thanks for your input,
Mark

Good chance that wacky beeps and burps are not coming from devices in the house. Besides, unless you have a generator or UPS to power your guitar amps, turning of your building's main power won't be informative if the affected amplifiers are all powered off.

I would start by unplugging all mike, guitar and pedal cords from all the input sockets. Power up the amplifiers this way and see how it affects the noise problem. If ALL the noises go away, filtering the amplifiers' inputs may help.

And if you still hear noises, this is not the route to take. Ferrite clip-on chokes on the guitar and mike cords would probably help if that's how the RF is sneaking into the amp.

And if you hear the interference with all of them unplugged, other measures will be needed.

At least see if you can begin to pin down the entry point into your equipment. The basic choices are the input cords, the power cords and direct pickup by wiring inside the amp.

Good chance that more than one entry point is active. Start by narrowing down the input sockets as a suspect.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Did you try turning off all the power to your house to see if the interference goes aw
Good chance that wacky beeps and burps are not coming from devices in the house. Besides, unless you have a generator or UPS to power your guitar amps, turning of your building's main power won't be informative if the affected amplifiers are all powered off.

I would start by unplugging all mike, guitar and pedal cords from all the input sockets. Power up the amplifiers this way and see how it affects the noise problem. If ALL the noises go away, filtering the amplifiers' inputs may help.

And if you still hear noises, this is not the route to take. Ferrite clip-on chokes on the guitar and mike cords would probably help if that's how the RF is sneaking into the amp.

And if you hear the interference with all of them unplugged, other measures will be needed.

At least see if you can begin to pin down the entry point into your equipment. The basic choices are the input cords, the power cords and direct pickup by wiring inside the amp.

Good chance that more than one entry point is active. Start by narrowing down the input sockets as a suspect.

Hello Sir,
Thanks for your reply. The noise is present when no gear is plugged into the amp. It’s definitely not coming through the guitar, cables or effects. The noise is also not dependent on any adjustment to the amp controls. The only solution is to move to the basement of the house where the amps are shielded from the RF of the cell tower. Surely there is a viable way to shield the equipment.

One thing you could try is getting some heavy-duty shielding for your amps, like those copper foil tapes. They can help block out unwanted signals.

You're getting RF interference from the cell tower. This is a well known problem for recording studios that have been around for a long time and suddenly find themselves neighbors with new cell towers which are causing interference. Any equipment with low level input suffers from this problem.

The noise is almost exactly as you describe; hissing punctuated by beeps.
There was a well documented case last year in Vancouver and the Phone Company was ordered to shield THEIR equipment better and the studio was found not at fault. Unfortunately, in that case, not even the phone company techs were able to find a solution and last I heard the studio was thinking of moving elsewhere.

So a solution may be hard to find in your case. I'm only kinda kidding when I say the easiest solution may be to move to a house that's not near any cell towers.
You might live longer too; I wouldn't want to live close to one of those cell towers and I work in broadcast radio as a tech and play with radios for fun!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hi all,
I’m hoping someone here might be able to make some suggestions for a problem I’m having with a nearby cell tower. I’m hearing a high frequency oscillating static punctuated with an occasional beep from my guitar amplifiers. It’s not my wiring as I’m observing the same thing with various amps both tube and solid state, even battery powered ones. When I use the amps in my basement no problem. What options do I have as far as shielding a guitar amp from this? My guitar tech of 40 years is grasping at straws. I know this forum is a shot in the dark but I’m determined to find a solution.
Thanks for your input,
Mark
Can you record it and post it here? Have you experienced this with different guitars? Single coil vs. double coil? Does the noise occur with no guitar plugged in?

One thing you could try is getting some heavy-duty shielding for your amps, like those copper foil tapes. They can help block out unwanted signals.
Also, try moving your amps around to find a sweet spot where the interference is less annoying.
Besides, it's always good to have some backup knowledge. I stumbled upon this guide at https://guitarsrepublic.com/guitar-basics, and it's been a lifesaver for me. It's not just about fixing interference, but it's got tons of useful tips for guitarists. Check it out when you can; it might just be what you need.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.