• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chameleon Vertical Antenna - 10-80 Meters

I’ll pretend that — as close as you are to the home of Dr Pepper — that the word diet wasn’t in there.

Used to stop at Dublin every week for the original formula cane sugar version. The real thing.

Mix that with my latest find: TX WHISKEY. From Cowtown. Have it every time we are at H3 Ranch.

The real thing mixed with the UNreal thing. Hell. You’ll SEE those damned standing waves.

And Chillicothe is a nice place. Guarantee Mudfoot can find it as he’s not far up the road as Texans figure it. Kenworth has a plant here. I’m loaded, and doing a 35-reset before rolling down the classic invasion route from Virginia.

Yeah, 40 minutes away. Usually go to VA hospital there.

Reactions: Slowmover
Dublin, TX?

Small world.

Hell, GGollyWally & Redbeard both live right off US-59. You’d think that pair would be scheming up something every Thursday morning at the Dairy Queen.

Wally is in OK, or Fort Smith. I'm down here in "Port of the Cow", just nort of where the Camels came in at Indianola, TX. Some say this was a retreat or vacation get away, way back, from Austin or San Antone. Tho, I have been to Wally's neighbor hood many moons ago. It's a lot prettier up there.

Well fiddle sticks! Wish I'd known that! o_O Would have saved some money. (n)

However, if I had it to do again, I'd not have purchased the Chameleon whip. I prefer using my steel whip instead. (y)
I also own the Chameleon Mil Whip and Mil Ext 2.0, and I am generally happy with it, but I do think the Chameleon products are pretty expensive. No one is forcing us to buy these products, so I am not complaining...only making an observation about the price.

As an interesting alternative, I found (and purchased) this antenna on eBay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Mili...306754?hash=item2f38606e82:g:vAkAAOSwFOldtmEu

View attachment 33929

It appears to be the same antenna as the Chameleon Mil Whip, which Chameleon sells for $129. There are a few Chinese sellers offering this antenna for $40-50.
Sweet! Thanks for that. Ordering one for experimentation.

Reactions: Riverman
I still have an Alpha Match that I use on occasion on 20/40 with a MFJ 17' collapsible element. For 80, you need a wire as well and of course a tuner.
Success is subject to band conditions.

Has anyone had any success using the Chameleon or Alpha antennas on 40, 60 or 80 meters?
Ed
KG5UN

I have a 80m buddipole coil that I have thought about trying in between the lower extension of the Chamelon and the whip. Been thinking about trying this for a while, so you just gave me a reason to do it and report back.

I have a 80m buddipole coil that I have thought about trying in between the lower extension of the Chamelon and the whip. Been thinking about trying this for a while, so you just gave me a reason to do it and report back.

Tim,
Have you had a chance to give it a go?

Reactions: L2
This thread has been running for over a year so want to give an update on my Chameleon MPAS 2.0.

Sometime in late summer 2020 in put my Chameleon MPAS 2.0 up as a “permanent” installation in my yard. I am using Chameleon’s ground stake
Hybrid Mini transformer
Mil EXT 2.0 lower whip section
and the eBay-purchased top whip section I referenced almost a year ago (Chinese copy of the Chameleon Mil 2.0 top whip. Thought is was the same as the Chameleon, but I guess Chameleon’s parts are all made in California per the video HRCC posted on YT. The Chinese whip has performed well).

I have the antenna mounted next to, and bungee corded, to a wooden fence post, just for additional support. I’m not sure how well the ground stake would hold by itself in that part of my yard, as that area can get a bit flooded in heavy downpours.

It has worked out better than I thought it would, but I did add two additional things to try to improve performance.
I added the Chameleon CHA Cap Hat that screws between the top and bottom whip sections, and I added 4 radial wires about 30’ feet in length, in 4 directions, lawn stapled down into the grass.

Now the antenna works even better. I have been able to work phone and digital modes on 80-6m.

The Cap Hat and radials definitely improve my local ground wave signal, as reported by friends within 5-30 miles of me.

Before the winter set in, I checked the Hybrid Mini transformer (I think it is a 5:1 UNUN), and I did find some water in it from heavy rains. I dried it out and placed a gallon ziplock bag over it to seal it up as best I could, and it has been fine, even through two feet of snow that we had on the ground back in early February. To be completely accurate, I have not opened up the Hybrid Mini since I covered it with the baggie, since I didn’t want to mess with it during the winter. I will check it soon, as spring is now setting it, and if there are issues to report, I will let you know, but the antenna has been consistent in it’s SWR and performance all winter, so I believe it is dry in there.

Reactions: Riverman
I tried this antenna in the back yard with the Buddipole load coil in between the extension and the whip with a single counterpoise cut for 80m. I didn't have much success getting it resonant on 80m in this configuration. As you can tell from the photo of the analyzer, the best I got is about 2.25:1.

7017-1616964381-6b62c42e0272b0eacbb761332147c9e0.jpg

In ter stin. . .
I've been messing around homebrewing one of these things. Soon.
I ain't, let me say again, I ain't gonna spend a bunch of my retirement for something I can make out of plumbing supplies, wire, and fishing poles.
Just makes me hyperventilate thinking about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned