• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chassis Mount SO-239

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
All,

I have been working on my HT for my Jeep. I am going to get a full-on mobile radio for the Jeep, but in the mean time, I've got it mostly where I want it. I have made a bracket for the HT unit, I have run the power, and I have it plugged into my head unit so that I can actually hear it (The Jeep is really loud). The thing I want to do know, is to put a dash-mounted antenna plug. Here's the setup:

Current Setup:
VX-8R with this cable:
SMA%20Male%20to%20SO-239%20Jumper.jpg

It is connected to the cable coming from my magnetic antenna.

What I'm wanting to do, is wire that antenna behind the dash to an SO-239 connector sticking out.
So, I'm thinking that one of these:
tb5173.jpg

Then, instead of the cable I currently have, I'd get one with an sma-pl259 that I could just attach really quickly to the plug on the dash.

What I really wish they had was something like this:
CO2528.jpg

but in so-239. They have similar things but they aren't threaded all the way down so I couldn't just mount it in my dash through a hole.
tc-uhfcoupler.jpg

Does anyone foresee any problems here, and does this seem like it will work?

Yeah, that's what I was about to suggest :) It will work fine, but you'll need to figure out some way of stabilizing that barrel connector a little more, unless where you're going to mount it is metal of some kind.

Another option would be to use a BNC adapter through the dash. That will make it a little easier to install & remove repeatedly. You'll probably have to make your own cable to go from the HT to the dash, though.

Thanks for the input. I have a metal plate that will be used on either side of the dash to reinforce it. As for the cable from the HT to the SO-239. I was thinking of a Gender Changer on the end of it. I saw one at the same site that had the SO-239. My only question is, will adding these connectors alter the antenna dynamics at all? In another post about my Jeep, you recommend the q-tec teraflex antenna mount that goes behind the light fixture or the tailgate stop. I like both of these ideas. Will my current Comet 2-band antenna work fine on a mount like that, assuming I get the right connectors for it? I didn't know if it would require any special wiring or not. Thanks!

My only question is, will adding these connectors alter the antenna dynamics at all?
It's not supposed to, as long as all of the connections are made properly.

Will my current Comet 2-band antenna work fine on a mount like that, assuming I get the right connectors for it?

Yep. I'm using something similar for my VHF/UHF. You might have to drill the hole out a little bigger on the Teraflex mount, but that will depend on the type of Antenna you have. The stock hole is probably for a 3/24 type mount.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.