• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Christmas 2 meter mobile....

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
As expected I got a new Yaesu FT-2800M for Christmas, and installed it today during some free time here at work. Had most of the difficult stuff already done, the 12 VDC power lines, and coax were already in place, so all I had to do was mount the bracket, and make some final connections.

The only thing I don't like about this radio is that it doesn't have the same "memory bank" feature that my VX-170 does, beyond that minor issue it's one butt kicking little radio. 65 watts is a good amount of FM heat, can't really see a need for anymore power than that for a mobile rig.

Programing is a little different, but I managed to get one amature simplex, and six repeaters programed in, plus a couple out of band emergency responder frequencies I have reason to monitor.

Got a couple of outstanding signal reports back on my first contact, and that's with a less than optimum antenna location, so I can't complain about a thing here.....(y)

If I'm not responding to any calls this evening, there's a simplex net at 8:00 I'll try to check-in on, that'll be the real acid test......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.