• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax/antenna issue

kevin23

Jan 31, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas USA
Ive tried many different antenna with the same issue. I live way back in the country, Knowing cb dont have much range. with the coax screwed all the way in i get nothing. if i pull it out to where only the center of the connector in. the receive is much better. I dare not try to tx like this. could anyone give me any ideas on what the problem could be or is this normal.

Different radios coax and antenna all the same.

Thought of that but my swr is 1.5:1
Your acceptable swr doesn't necessarily mean your connectors are in good order. Eliminate the obvious which is most likely the easiest. Remove both pl 259's, replace them with new one's and re solder them well. You might be pleasantly surprised. At least you will know that isn't your problem if your recive continues to act as it did before. 73 and good luck.

What signal are you receiving when you try this experiment? If another station gets louder then there is a problem. If all you hear is static and it gets louder when you ground the coax, that is normal.

You saw what you saw, but it is hard to believe you ever got a 1.50:1 SWR with a direct short as you suggest...unless it was intermittent or this is what you get after fixing the short.

Are you making contacts now?

Give us a little description of your homemade antenna or maybe a picture or two. The 1/4 wave is a great antenna when conditions permit.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.