• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COAX

One spec chart I saw said 350 watts and another chart said 800. I suspect they may both be right depending on who the manufacturer was. If it was Belden or times Microwave then I would have no problem running 5-600 watts through it. If it was a truck shop special type then all bets are off.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
The power handling ability of any/all coax depends on the antenna at the end of it, how well it's tuned. If that antenna is well matched, and atleast sort of resonant, then the feed line can carry more than you'd thing. If that antenna isn't well matched (impedance/SWR) or at least sort of close to resonant, then some of the power being fed to the antenna never get's to it, stays circulating in the feed line, which will lower the power capability of that feed line. In really extreme cases, that circulating current/power turns to heat, and/or raises the voltage to a point where the coax either get's too hot (not real likely) or arcs over (the biggy). The coax spec charts used to list the break-down voltages, they don't any more, just the 'typical' power handling abilities which is supposed to make things 'simpler'. Another aspect is that the manufacturers tend to be a bit 'conservative' in that power handling thingy, which is pretty easy to understand.
So there's no 'set' answer for that question. Paying attention to the manufacturers specs is a good idea.
- 'Doc

Although it may handle 500 watts..

that much power in such minimal quality coax brings one likely to become a splash box in the neighborhood..

Best be sure at least all connections are tight and not leaking rf..

This coax is rated at 1000 watts I have some but never ran more than 700-800 watts through it but 1KW would be iffy and a gamble unless you were absolutely sure you had a near perfect matched antenna that would not hold any output back letting it dissapate into heat causing a meltdown havoc situation.

This coax is good but for jumpers, mobile installations and short runs because anything over 50 feet the line loss percentage really starts to take off or climb.

This coax is rated at 1000 watts I have some but never ran more than 700-800 watts through it but 1KW would be iffy and a gamble unless you were absolutely sure you had a near perfect matched antenna that would not hold any output back letting it dissapate into heat causing a meltdown havoc situation.

This coax is good but for jumpers, mobile installations and short runs because anything over 50 feet the line loss percentage really starts to take off or climb.

I don't know where you got your numbers from but we are both wrong.

RG-8X Coaxial Cable

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.