• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 135 Noisy Receive HELP

digitalwacker

Aug 4, 2009
I have an old 23 channel Cobra 135 that works, but has an extremely noisy receiver. There is a constant 6 S-unit signal of static. I'm assuming it may be an old capacitor? Anyone have any suggestions?

Disconnect the antenna and connect a 50ohm dummy load directly to the radio. If there is still 6 s-units of noise, then there is a problem with the radio. If this is the case, let me know, and I will tell you where to go from here. 73s

- Sluggo

if no noise on the dummy load is common. that means the noise is coming in from the antenna. a noisy cap would also be noise with the radio on a dummy load. it may be just the conditions at your place right now. check it at different times and see if the noise changes.

Reactions: 1 person
Look around for external noise sources. I had to unplug the power supply on my laptop because it was causing excessive noise in my 135.

Are you anywhere near some HV power lines? Maybe a leaky power transformer up on a pole? Neighbor have an electric fence? Do you have a wireless router close to the radio? Any of these things could cause noise.

I use a 135 as an everyday radio and for the most part it's a quiet receiver

Noise seems to be there regardless of location. It receives fine, just always has 6 s-units of white noise. Also wondering if anyone knows how to center the clarifier. Mine has to be all the way to the right to be on frequency on 19

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.