• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142GTL Variable Key Help

Jan 18, 2017
Central KY
Hello all,
I'm new here. I am on CBjunkies.com quite a bit and heard about this site through that forum. I'm needing help with installing a variable key in the above mentioned radio. I've built the mod (I've built many), I've just never put it in a 142GTL. I can't find info anywhere on where to put it. The best I can find is to cut VR6 and put it there. Problem with that is i need to tap a coil somewhere for the 3rd pot wire (one wire goes to the cap/transistor, one goes to a ground and resistor, one goes to a coil). I just want to find the best way to incorporate this variable key. It's a pain to open up the radio every time to adjust every thing just to get the desired dead key with the right amount of swing. Thanks for any help!

73's from 677 Central KY

Hey Matt you made it here!! Good deal!! Also look around the forum with the search function, you might find the mod that way.
To All, I recommended him to come her guys. Please someone help this guy out. He is good people!! Thanks for any responses!!! Good day!!

Reactions: mattsowders1989
the way I am reading what you wrote down sounds like you have built a setup like used in a cobra 29 using a tip120 trans.you are talking about 3 wires and a coil which is what is used for the variable on the am only radios. the only way I have ever done a 142 radio is put a pot external for VR6 to adjust it up and down. it takes 3 wires. one to the ground of the vr6, one to the plus side of the wiper and one to the neg side of the wiper. should have said clockwise and counter clock wise on the wiper.
has been years since I put a variable in the cobra 142. I normally just do what some people call a npc mod. it drops the dead key to 2 watts with full swing on AM. do not have to mess with a variable this way.
each his own idea.

Reactions: mattsowders1989
ok. i understand. the only problem i see with using vr6 externally is that when the output power goes so low, there is barely any swing. my best guess is that it just is what it is. what resistance pot should i use if i do put vr6 external?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.