• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 gtl MMB8719 CH MOD (China 148 gtl)

D

drifter 8291

Ok here is one I did to my 148 (new china made) that has a MMB8719 .. (*I AM NO TECH IT WORKED ON MINE BUT DO AT YOUR OWN RISK*)

Cut trace to pin 14 between the cut put a switch when the trace is open (cut) you get ch 37 to 40 27.415 to 27.445..ch 4 is one of the B channels 27.045 ch 8 is also 27.095 so is ch 16 27.195...

Pin 12 put a switch to Ground you get

Ch 2 through 13 26.815 to 26.995 ...ch 31 26.835 ch 36 26.885

pin 10 & 11 switched you get Ch 1 through 14

27.605 to 27.765 ....

12pin and ground on and pin 10 and 11 on you get ...ch 2 through 13 27.455 to 27.595 ...ch 31 27.475 ch 36 27.525

...... Hope this helps someone I had looked everywhere and found no mod for this so went about and tried it on my own...

</p>

china mod

HELLO THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE NEW CHINA RADIO. IT IS DONE THE SAME WAY AS THEY HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN DONE I JUST FINISED ONE AND IT WORKS PERFECT.:thumbup

There is a difference, mine came with a fortune cookie...:glare:

I have read your post in CBRT about the older style 148s and which is best. You did receive some typical bonehead information from that forum.

The Phillipine and Malaysian side mic 148s are the 2 best. The radios from Taiwan are the ones to avoid because they are well known to have a cheaper non-Uniden board and poor QC. Performance wise, they are the same as the other 2.
You can't believe much of what is posted on CBRT.

The new Chinese Cobra 148 radios suck and anyone telling you otherwise is simply misinformed, lying or just plain ignorant. The Cobra 148 model has been a POS since 1998 when they went to the Soundtrackers and assembly in China.
BTW.....Never unlock a clarifier in a CB unless the radio has a built in frequency counter or an inline counter. Temperature differences will make make these unlocked radios drift annoyingly.
What really amazes me is circuitbreaker started a thread about What are the best 148s a month ago and someone gave him bad advice....then he passed it on in your thread. That is how nonsense becomes fact in the internet world. Whether it is intentional or misinformed nonsense.........it is still nonsense.
The Taiwan 148s are OK if you get one that works.

Last edited:
The frist run 148's that were also made in the R.O.C. (China) were good radios as well. You would be talking late 70s to mid 80s on those , then Philly then Malaysia. The last Philly chassie's I saw were in the Grant XL's and LT's , they finally stopped making those around 2002 I believe it was. (those were also good chassies/boards) This artical pretty much sums it up on the newer 148s of today. :(

updated.gif
SEPT 22, 2000
NEW INFORMATION ON THE COBRA 148 NW ST.
148nwst.gif

Cobra has really shot themselves in the foot with this new radio, why you ask? I'm getting to that but first let me say that Cobra has been the industry leader in producing good quality CB radio's down through the years, there was the great line of Mobil "AM" radios such as the 25LTD, 29LTD. Their Sideband radios such as the 146, 148 gtl and 2000 were superb, they were stable and a radio you could be proud of.
The first thing that happened to Cobra was that Uniden wanted to raise the price on there PC boards, Cobra did not like this so they got some other company to make there boards cheeper! The first thing that happened was that they started using 1/6 Th. watt resistors throughout the whole radio, don't know how many radios failed in the field because of this, I had several myself that had a failure of several resistors that had previously been 1/2 watt. Of course this is all history, they fixed that problem.
Now we have this new radio, the 148 NW ST, It looks real pretty at night. I had a customer send me a 148 NW ST for peaking and tuning for better receive and transmit. So before doing anything else, I hooked it up to my antenna to get some radio checks, well, AM was OK, nothing to write hone about but clear and clean. Then I went to Sideband, now people say they can't "clarify" me in, What! So I tried some others on the band with the same results, can't clarify me! So I'm thinking maybe my oscillators are off frequency so I check them and find that they are a little off so I align them. This time is the same as the last, they can't clarify me!
So I really got concerned! After checking the oscilator frequencies I find that they change when I modulate! What the Hell! they are not supposed to change, they are supposed to be rock solid! I placed a volt meter on several test points and found that the voltage to the oscillators is changing with modulation! So I start looking for the reason for this and ran into the cause right away.
The new units don't have the MB3756 Voltage Regulator, They have decided to further cheapen the radio by doing away with it! and installed a 3 pin voltage regulator in its place with a series resistor on the 8 volt pin, on the input pin there is no voltage drop, on the output pin there is.
What this all boils down to is this, the radio is in my opinion now is somwhat "unstable" on sideband and I for one, would not own one! To my knowledge it could be inproved with some additional filtering and RF bypassing.

Reactions: Pez
I have read your post in CBRT about the older style 148s and which is best. You did receive some typical bonehead information from that forum.

The Phillipine and Malaysian side mic 148s are the 2 best. The radios from Taiwan are the ones to avoid because they are well known to have a cheaper non-Uniden board and poor QC. Performance wise, they are the same as the other 2.
You can't believe much of what is posted on CBRT.

The new Chinese Cobra 148 radios suck and anyone telling you otherwise is simply misinformed, lying or just plain ignorant. The Cobra 148 model has been a POS since 1998 when they went to the Soundtrackers and assembly in China.
BTW.....Never unlock a clarifier in a CB unless the radio has a built in frequency counter or an inline counter. Temperature differences will make make these unlocked radios drift annoyingly.
What really amazes me is circuitbreaker started a thread about What are the best 148s a month ago and someone gave him bad advice....then he passed it on in your thread. That is how nonsense becomes fact in the internet world. Whether it is intentional or misinformed nonsense.........it is still nonsense.
The Taiwan 148s are OK if you get one that works.

Thanks psycho, yeah I supposed to look at it at 6 pm tonite..So if it's the side mic, and from Tawain, don't buy it?

Thanks psycho, yeah I supposed to look at it at 6 pm tonite..So if it's the side mic, and from Tawain, don't buy it?

If it is from Taiwan, test it thoroughly before buying. I have a Taiwan Cobra 148 and I had to spend a few hours replacing dried up capacitors after numerous weird things started happening. Thank goodness I have a friend who has experience in this.
There are more Malaysian radios around than anything else plus they are great radios and I don't understand the reason Phillipine 148s are preferred by CBRT people??????
All 3 places of manufacture produced great performing radios but if you are not familiar with repair work avoid the taiwan radios.......but you always can get a great one that will last until 2050.
Don't unlock the clarifier........you don't need to and you'll be sorry in the summer when the temps are up and she'll drift frequency wise.
I personally own 4 NOS malaysian 148s and 2 Phillipine radios. The Taiwan radios sell for way cheaper on Ebay and can be had REAL CHEAP!

Well I did pick it up, it was from 1993 Malaysia...Got it for 60 bucks, looks new..Also for 15 buck he had a Realistic TRC 449 SB radio, it looks new as well...Any info on the Realistic?..

Never unlock a clarifier in a CB unless the radio has a built in frequency counter or an inline counter. Temperature differences will make make these unlocked radios drift annoyingly.

Locked, unlocked, drift will occur. The crystal can't tell if the clarifier is unlocked.

Unlocked the TX/RX drift together.

How would a counter make any difference?

Reactions: 1 person
Locked, unlocked, drift will occur. The crystal can't tell if the clarifier is unlocked.

Unlocked the TX/RX drift together.

How would a counter make any difference?
I think I see his way of thinking here , but no way would a freq. counter make a differance. These are good radios , unless they were totally alighned center slot , it would be pretty hard for me to live with a radio that didn't have the clarifier open at least a little on RX/TX where SSB is concerned.

These are fairly solid drift free radios , at least the older chassied models , Oh sure , they might take a minute or 2 to stabilize , but they will and should hold very nicely. Not the case with other radios though , (Galaxys in the past could be real pains in the ass as far as drifting goes) I think a G-88 I had once was the worse drifting SSB'er I ever owned. :thumbdown:

among the multitude of reasons that the new chinese 148's suck butt is because of the voltage regulator.

the MB3756 was too expensive to reproduce, so they went with something cheaper.

the quality of the crystals, the crystal lattice filter, and the tuning cans also sucks.

i actually like the taiwan 148's, but thats because i replace all the electrolytic caps in them as soon as i get them.
they are just getting old and caps dry out.

i agree with psycho, that if you are not the type to repair their own radios; get something newer.
philippines being the newest.

i have only owned one philippines 148, and i didnt like the fact that they used 1/8 watt resistors on the board.
thats just me.

all of the old ones were awesome, and the new ones, well, you already know what i think of them.

and if you know how to upgrade the old ones, holy crap what a radio!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.