• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 gtl ssb issues

kaos513

Apr 10, 2014
Putnam county,NY
Hello i have a cobra 148gtl my upper side band and lower sideband are way off frequencey also has some type of knob inside with black tape looks like a mod if you need pictures i can send for better viewing.

Last edited:

pics would help,,,, being off freq,,,,has the clarifier been opened,,,, put on freq counter and while keyed up move clarifier and see if freq changes,,,, has echo been installed? sometimes echo adjustment is put on front and what ever was there taped up and stuck inside,,, may be dial a watt,, too seen that done,,,,,

pics would help,,,, being off freq,,,,has the clarifier been opened,,,, put on freq counter and while keyed up move clarifier and see if freq changes,,,, has echo been installed? sometimes echo adjustment is put on front and what ever was there taped up and stuck inside,,, may be dial a watt,, too seen that done,,,,,
Yes i has an echo board installed they replaced the rf gain with a on and off switch guess to turn echo on or off and the swr cal is used now for echo as well.

that on the inside is the knobs they replaced with the echo controls,,,,,, done that alot just put inside radio taped up and put echo contorls in hole,,,,did you check the freq on counter? if the clarifier has been opened it is sometimes really wierd to line up the sideband,,,, my 148 is opened and the center slot for am is 1 oclock,,,, if i turn it fully anticlock wise it 1 channel down,,, on side band i have to tune in someone very careful it is real sensitive but it works,,,,

that on the inside is the knobs they replaced with the echo controls,,,,,, done that alot just put inside radio taped up and put echo contorls in hole,,,,did you check the freq on counter? if the clarifier has been opened it is sometimes really wierd to line up the sideband,,,, my 148 is opened and the center slot for am is 1 oclock,,,, if i turn it fully anticlock wise it 1 channel down,,, on side band i have to tune in someone very careful it is real sensitive but it works,,,,
clarifier must not be open because i have tried turning the clarifier and my frequency dosent move at all thanks

are you turning the clarifier when keyed up?..... are you using a freq counter?....if this has a external freq counter mounted to it on ssb might not show,,,, on ssb freq should be up or down some,,,,but because of the way side band operates it might be hard to tell freq from the way it bounces around,,,, like trying to check wattage output on a am only meter,,,,

The last one I bought had one and it sucked so bad I gave it away!! Wish I would have kept it, but it was a POS inside was butchered!! glad I didn't pay but $25 for it. Lesson learned.

Yeah my other radios when you key up on side band would show you frequency, but strange reason this 148 would not

When you key up on SSB, there is no carrier for the freq counter to read. Your other radios may not have the carrier totally supressed on SSB, and need adjusting.
When you begin talking on ssb, the freq counter will read all over the place. Do you get good reports on-the-air ??? Maybe there is nothing wrong with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.