• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148f and an rfx75

Sideways

Mar 18, 2013
southern ohio
So, a pal of mine gave me a cobra 148f. This thing is rough, looks like its been kicked around in the floor board of a dump truck (and probably has been:confused:). The radio powers on and receives, but the final is toast due to a broken antenna incident. My plan is to completely restore this classic gem this winter.
That being said, I have a barely used rfx75 sitting on the bench pulled from a cobra 29. Was thinking of maybe installing it on this radio and running it as a base.
Has anyone done this install on this or similar radio?
Do they work as well as they do on a cobra 29?
Are there any issues with ssb after changing to this type of final section?
Should I just replace the final and continue to use the rfx as a paper weight?
Any suggestions, opinions, thoughts welcome(y)

The rfx75 is supposed to be ab biased, should work well on ssb, the magnum 257hp that uses them is a good ssb radio. The rfx75 doesn't like to be volted or over driven. If you can get 60-80 watts out on ssb it should work well. They aren't as easy to wire up as the rfx150 so I have heard but with hard work anything is possible. Good luck and like Robb posted get the radio itself back up and running. Good luck and god bless.

Reactions: Sideways
As always, it is recommended that any radio mod should be done only after the radio is in a known state of proper repair. Sooooo, definitely fix the radio and make sure everything is right with it - first.
Yes sir, thats the plan. Recap, rewire, re-whatever it needs, make sure its up to snuff. Its pretty much a mess in there, but will be a good project for winter time. Just had that rfx sitting there and thought, what if? I'm gonna be elbow deep in this thing anyway:)

Last edited:
So, a pal of mine gave me a cobra 148f. This thing is rough, looks like its been kicked around in the floor board of a dump truck (and probably has been:confused:). The radio powers on and receives, but the final is toast due to a broken antenna incident. My plan is to completely restore this classic gem this winter.
That being said, I have a barely used rfx75 sitting on the bench pulled from a cobra 29. Was thinking of maybe installing it on this radio and running it as a base.
Has anyone done this install on this or similar radio?
Do they work as well as they do on a cobra 29?
Are there any issues with ssb after changing to this type of final section?
Should I just replace the final and continue to use the rfx as a paper weight?
Any suggestions, opinions, thoughts welcome(y)

Repair the radio and thrown the RFX75 in the garbage.

Reactions: Tallman
Repair the radio and thrown the RFX75 in the garbage.

Point taken psycho. Probably won't throw it away though, it does make a good paper weight:D

Get the radio repaired first then if you have to add the rfx75. The RFX150 is way easier to install.

I will most definitely repair the radio first. Just tossing this idea around because I have the rfx 75 just sitting there. If I don't, I will just replace the final, align and tune, and maybe put a 2 pill behind it(y)

Thanks for the replies guys

Reactions: binrat
Return the 148 back to stock and in good running status. Put the RFX-75 back in the pile with the cobra 29. Take the wife out to dinner ( reasonable price but good food ) Put the kids to bed early and serve choc covered strawberries and champagne. This should work out fine. flowers will help.

Reactions: rob5
Return the 148 back to stock and in good running status. Put the RFX-75 back in the pile with the cobra 29. Take the wife out to dinner ( reasonable price but good food ) Put the kids to bed early and serve choc covered strawberries and champagne. This should work out fine. flowers will help.

This could get expensive:eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.