• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 150 and 200 GTL

Just got my 200 yesterday, I was going to hold back on commenting until I had spent more time with it but since you asked.... The frequency mods on the net are slightly off. You need to move R138 from its factory position up to the empty R619 position. This enables 11 meters AND TX on what Cobra is calling "Government Frequencies", 27.555 for example.

Mine came with 2 2SC2290's, I was under the impression it would have HF50's, so that was a nice surprise. Don't have a Bird but using an Autek I am seeing 120PEP on SSB high power 15 low, a bit under 100PEP on AM high.

Receiver seems less white noisy than my 2950DX, a good thing, but adjacent channel rejection does not seem as good as the 2950DX. Again this is a non scientific judgment call after a few hours of use. I will update observations later if they contradict what was initially observed.

Looks great. Knobs have an ok feel to them. Construction looks good, feels solid. I did have a screw fall out of IC10 (7808) mounted to the right hand side, appears that there was no bolt... This is the plastic 7808 so there really is no heatsink to mount. I don't know for sure if it is supposed to be mounted to the chassis or not... I mounted it with spare hardware for vibration sake. Hmmm... hope they did not forget anything else.

Bottom line for the price, initial impressions are very positive.

riq165

Yeah they need some bug worked out but I heard from a magnum dealer they are darn good. Ow yeah can I say DAM 2290s!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Thats cool!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

So far, I love this radio. Had a new one on the bench today sitting at 150 watts on a Bird 4314B, and this was straight out of the box on a 13.8-volt supply. My Wavenode system was graphing occasional peaks of 180. If Cobra would add the simple talkback mod from the factory, I think this radio would be complete. As it is, the talkback mod isn't that hard to do if you're careful.

Do the two 2290's have a fan like other radios with them?
How does the radio talk?

to my eyes they are the nicest looking cb around, i would like to see some more inside shots, is the counter a counter like on a s9 that drifts or is it a display like on the ranger 2950 or hr2510????, when are we going to get some techs opinion of how they work and construction quality, just how good are they compared to a 2950dx or my emperor on fm and ssb, JUSTIN STICK YOUR 2CENTS IN HERE,

I just talked to a guy who had a 200, sounded real nice for sure. I guess it's looking like the 200 is faring better then the 150 did.

riq165 What kinda amps is the 200 pulling? What size amp power supply are you running the 200 on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.