• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 200 GTL-DX Revision 3

hey DTB i think i asked this b4 but since its a different thread......
dont you make sure that if a product need factory fixes that theyre done b4 you ship a product out ?

OK......I got one from my local CB shop(over 50 years, original owner.....good man, I think)

I had him tune and align it....but........the receive(AM only/ ain't tried SSB).......sounds like my external speaker is broken/ cracked......very distorted........???

I believe he set it up right according to the book........but there is something wrong that ain't in the book. Make sense??

Is there a mod we should try?........
That's my only issue so far.......... :roll:

Any/ all help is appreciated..........thanks already.

...................Ol'Ben

BOOTY MONSTER said:
hey DTB i think i asked this b4 but since its a different thread......
dont you make sure that if a product need factory fixes that theyre done b4 you ship a product out ?

It would be nice if it worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. The world is filled with items that seemed to work fine in the lab, but had fairly disastrous results in the real world. Just ask anyone that manufacturers software, automobiles, radios, airplanes, game systems, toilets, boats, appliances, etc. Recalls o'plenty.

When it comes right down to it, it is amazing that anything complicated works well. Computers, radios, and cars especially. They are getting so complicated it amazes me that they work as well as they do.

Mopar

I have one of these so named Revision III radios and it seems who has been playing with them are heading in the right direction. The ZERO issue has been fixed and the radio can make this, although not in 10m where the radio is off :shock: just 11m can make it.

Seems the receive is also fixed and there was not any dramatic overload of the front end noticed during testing it here. The power seems to be fine, mine makes 88w ssb with the standard mike and with the d104 does similar to 95w ssb.

Have set the 200 alongside an S9 and a Alinco DX77 and here is the results made with the locals here, sure not scientific at all.

5 liked the richness of the 200's audio
3 liked more the Alinco
1 liked the S9, was told sounded tinny, cheap and chinese

So we will see how it goes, at the moment it seems to be fine and the radio does seem to have a little more hiss than the other ones.

Simon

I emailed Cobra asking about when they would have the 200 back in stock, they stated they did not have a time frame what so ever.

I e mailed Bruce from DX City and he says that the version 3 has only been out about a month ago or so. Bruce also told me that Cobra had a voluntary recall for leftover stock from their disdributors during the same period.

I spoke to Brian from Cobra Tech Support and he says several months ago version 3 came out. He says that they added talkback, fixed the nb/anl adjacent channel rejection issue, audio in all modes is good, squelch issue is fixed, and front end overload issue is fixed. Brian told me that there was no recall so who knows the truth.

I never saw the clarifier issue or the counter issue. I wonder if these are version 1 issues or not. Also Cobra doesn't call them version 1,2 or 3. You also can't tell the version 3s because Cobra doen't mention the talkback being added on the box.

These radios out of the box are 10 meter radios and do not cover the 11 meter band. It appears that this British Group is converting them before the sale.

Has anyone heard reference to a serial number at which point this radio has rec'd all factory updates? That's fairly common in other products, like amateur radios.

It is hard to tell revision 3 radios. The circuit board last two letters are BF. Apparantly there have been 5 previous circuit boards and several parts revisions. The version 3s have built in talkback on the echo control knob but this is not stated on the new radio boxes.

Well you guys got me wondering. I like my 200! The audio is top shelf on AM another guy owns one and also has a 95T and says the 200 sounds better and I agree the audio is much cleaner. Anyway the only problem I have with mine is the driver keeps blowing out in it becouse of static from lightning and its blown out right now and has been for a couple of months. This was also before I got my maco and was running an antron. I was going to send it back but I called the warranty shop and asked if there had been any changes in circuitry and they said there was no changes So I figured I would change the driver myself. Have not got around to it yet but its been to the shop two times and I guess third time they give you a new one. Maybe I should send it back :?:

I think the revsion 3s start with M60 or M70. Still working on getting more info. You might see some 3s with BE and BF as the last two letters on the circuit board. I have seen BFs but no BEs as of yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.