• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL Clarifier Question.

BigMike357

Apr 2, 2020
I have a Cobra 2000 GTL that the Clarifier is not unlocked. I was reading on here where the Cobra 148 has a mod that does not extend the slide range it only unlocks the Clarifier it was posted by Nomad. Is there a way to unlock the Cobra 2000 GTL and keep stock Clarifier range?
Thanks Mike 35 Delta 357

I have a Cobra 2000 GTL that the Clarifier is not unlocked. I was reading on here where the Cobra 148 has a mod that does not extend the slide range it only unlocks the Clarifier it was posted by Nomad. Is there a way to unlock the Cobra 2000 GTL and keep stock Clarifier range?
Thanks Mike 35 Delta 357
Same as 148 GTL.

The brown wire does come loose from the CCW lug of the fine control. That's because the brown wire connects to the receive-only 8 Volts and we're going full-time with the clarifier. As a rule, this allows a useful "fine" tuning range. To increase the coverage of the Fine knob, a resistor goes from the CCW lug where we pulled the brown wire, to ground. I don't do that a lot, so no exact resistance value is on file. I'd say start with a 10k resistor and see if that added too much range to the Fine knob. Higher resistance is a smaller coverage, smaller resistance increases it.

Attachments

• C2kclar.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
1710734730673.png

Remove D75 & R188. You can also remove D52 if you want - it doesn't matter. Unsolder the other end of the Red wire on Fine from the Circuit board and solder it in the hole where the anode of D75 was (VR5 wiper). Solder a wire to pin 1 of IC4 (MB3756 - constant 8v source) and to the hole where R188 was that connects to VR5 and the lifted leg of R424 opposite the Fine Brown wire.

Center Fine & Coarse and adjust VR5 for Zerobeat in your preferred SSB mode. Do not adjust L22, L23, or L59.

Should have "stock" slide range. Fine & Coarse will be functional. All wires stay on the Fine Clarifier. We are just changing the RX only 8v to a constant 8v and using VR5 to "center" the Fine & Coarse pots.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.