• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000GTL

If you have some friends that have a few different mics that would let you borrow them just to try, you may be pleasantly surprised to find one that sounds way better than another. I got a common 4 pin Cobra to 5 pin cobra 2000 mic adapter on eBay. That lets you try any common 4 pin cobra/Galaxy wired mic on the Cobra 2000.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=191720152265

I like a smidge of reverb so don't discount an echo mic. There are a few that offer that option like the Astatic echo max 2000.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
I do remember waaaay back that a friend of mine ran an 1104C. What I remember was it sounded very good, but could also be made to be punchy like a D104. So you can have a nice mellow sound for local talk, and the punchy sound for DX. I always thought they were a little hard to come by, but you never know what you'll find on Amazon or Ebay these days.

I never had a 10DA head for my Tug stand, but another local used to run one back in the old days, and it was a pretty mellow sounding mic. He ran his on a Tram D201, and the tubes may have contributed a bit to the mellow sound.. who knows. Since you already have a 10D head, I would definitely wire it up and see how she does.

Brett

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
With a heavy audio Cobra 2000, it is completely unnecessary to run a power mic.
I run a stock mic or an unamplified D104 on mine and it is killer loud and clear.

astatic echomax is my microphone of choice, either with or without echo. after that is my 1104c.
with the radio properly tuned, mod limiters intact, mic gain 100% and microphones set low you're loud and proud while still being clean and mean.

If you have some friends that have a few different mics that would let you borrow them just to try, you may be pleasantly surprised to find one that sounds way better than another. I got a common 4 pin Cobra to 5 pin cobra 2000 mic adapter on eBay. That lets you try any common 4 pin cobra/Galaxy wired mic on the Cobra 2000.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=191720152265

I like a smidge of reverb so don't discount an echo mic. There are a few that offer that option like the Astatic echo max 2000.

As stated here you should try to get/borrow several different mics and do some on-air testing. It really depends on if you talk AM or SSB and what kind of voice you have.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.