• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 25 ltd issue

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
Well, here goes. Have an old stock beater 25 and went to try it the other day. Since i suffer from "humas", hooked power up backwards. Cover off, checked d23, found it open. Replaced it with a 3a diode. Since i was there, figured i'd try the mod for modulation. Removed the jumper jp6, installed the cap 2.2muf where jp6 was removed, and ran wires to gain knob, and soldered old gain wires together. Turned vr5 full counterclockwise. Figured, ok, ran resistor for talkback. Cap neg faces rear of radio, diode in right. Fired her up, hmmmmmmm. When anl on, getting constant speaker hash not affected by vol, sq, etc. Tun off anl,no noise. Wont turn on tx red light anl off, but will turn it on with anl on.
So, is this an issue with blowing d23; or could i have screwed up the mod? Seemed like an easy deal for my 1st time repair, but right now kind of at a loss. Yup, i cansee the smiles and hear the laffs, but gotta start somewhere, right??!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so the issue with tx and anl .....doesnt key light when switched to pa, right? Did say i was suffering from humas, didnt i? Questiin of speaker constant noise still remains. Undo mod and check, or any ideas??? Note......d23 failed open, not shorted.

That is why you don't repair and mod at the same time, but I'm sure you know that now.
Yup, but since this is really my first shot at internal repair, guess im gonna make the rookie mistakes. Figured the mid was pretty straight forward, and worth the shot since i had to go inside. So unless there are any opinions ill go back and undo the mod and see where that gets me. Doesnt seem like its all that bad, but .....oh well. That which does not let the smoke ot makes me stronger!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.