• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 unhacking project

Normaly a jumper is present, if you introduce resistance to this spot it limits the amount of current (I'm guessing) passing through and lowers the dead key, if you pareelel a cap ontop the voice peaks produce AC whcih pass trjpuigh the cap and gives you "supermod"
And so long as that signal isn't distorted; then there isn't a problem.
If it isn't distorted.
Big 'IF'.

So you see, that there is a BIG difference between just hacking a radio - and seeing on a scope what it is actually doing. Many people don't have a scope and take a little time in learning how to use one. It is just 'group think' and that is their deniability.
" . . . I dunno; just saw it on the net"

If you want to lower the dead key; then the jumper must come out and a resistor or the variable mod must go in. One or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
Would the transistor method of attaining variable power still be the prefered method without the cap?

The 29 that I installed the talkback resistor in is brand new, so I really hope it is just the resistor value. It is a 470 ohm, right?
20170119_162813.jpg

Would the transistor method of attaining variable power still be the prefered method without the cap?

The 29 that I installed the talkback resistor in is brand new, so I really hope it is just the resistor value. It is a 470 ohm, right?
View attachment 20032
I've never tried the TIP120 mod without the cap in fear of having a radio that only dead keys, I think Robb has shown me the light though so i'm gonna try it one day!

With the cap in the radio was a screamer, and could be setup on the scope @ 4 watts no problem, just when dropping waaayy looow like I do, [0.5 watt] it will swing high, I wasn't after that so I spent a lot of time getting it dialed in to barely swing from such a low carrier, it's do-able and easily repeatable just nott something I felt I should have to do just to go from 4 watts to .5, but i enjoy re-adjusting them anyways i guess, it's just a quirk of the mod, but yeah it can look good on the scope with proper adjustment. (Everything would have to remain set once in place, mic gain, mic, d.k. everything, otherwise the previous tune will not count)

Last edited:

View attachment 20032
I would do both (cap AND variable mod), just so long as the peaked coils and the modulation aren't set so high as to make distortion. That is the bottom line.

I would do both (cap AND variable mod), just so long as the peaked coils and the modulation aren't set so high as to make distortion. That is the bottom line.
Distortion is exactly what's gonna happen when he "sets the modulation" then lowers the DK to two watts, I bet the trimmer pot will do nothing for the AMC after this mod.
This swing kit almost completely disables the AMC from having any real affect.

Uhhh . . . No.
The modulation pot can make it go into distortion.
So can the Mic Gain.
So can the power mic.
I can set that pot to the direction when the modulation is normaly lowest, then lower the dead key and leave the mic gain (anywhere but off) *add modulation* & poof it's gonna look bad on the scope regardless of how it looks when the carrier is at 4 watts...

The radios sound loud, look like *** on the 'scope.
The modulation pot can make it go into distortion.
How about the phrase: "No matter how the modulation pot is adjusted, distortion will not be preventable" {due to the swing mod}

Last edited:
If you adjust ANY pot without a scope; then you are doing no more than guessing.
A 1khz audio signal into the mic better look the same coming out of the radio as going in - as seen on the scope; or it is distorting.

Reactions: LeapFrog
If you adjust ANY pot without a scope; then you are doing no more than guessing.
A 1khz audio signal into the mic better look the same coming out of the radio as going in - as seen on the scope; or it is distorting.
Distortion is exactly what's gonna happen when he "sets the modulation" then lowers the DK to two watts, I bet the trimmer pot will do nothing for the AMC after this mod.
This swing kit almost completely disables the AMC from having any real affect.
@338_MtRushmoore
Unless you have a test bench with equipment mentioned in this thread, please reconsider using the swing mod.

Your tech can see great results on his bench, but if anything is adjusted later (at all) the radio can become a splatter box quickly, as the previous tune will become worthless soon as the dead key changes.:cry:

If you want to do mods:

Then keep the swing kit, but do it correctly (TIP120).
+1800TollFree's "Keep alive"
+GoldFinger's hi-fi.
+On a Cobra 25 change C91 from a 220 to a 33uF cap, (y) this affects the AMC and has given me good results on a Cobra radio with the "variable power/swing kit" & "GoldFinger's Hi-Fi", otherwise the radio acted like it had a "clipped limiter" so this one change made a real improvement.

Is there a variable power mod that maintains a good swing ratio? I have never seen one, and it seems that most exports still swing hard from a low deadkey.
I have setup a few after removing the truck stop crap, that would not swing much at all avg wise, that's what I was looking for, looks like i'll try the TIP120 wthout a cap.
I still recommend you return it to factory. :cool:

Last edited:
If you want to lower the dead key; then the jumper must come out and a resistor or the variable mod must go in. One or the other.
Adjust L14 (on a Cobra 29) can raise/lower carrier/p.e.p. on a bone stock radio no resistor or modification needed, (range is very limited yes) ..but this can be done to lower the dead key on a completely stock radio.

Last edited:
Funny you say that, as I was just reading a little about goldfinger hifi. Could be interesting, and if it turned out well, a keeper for sure.
It's an "audio bandwidth increase" (1Khz?) that really takes the right microphone to take advantage of, if you only have a stock mic you won't be amazed or happy. The Astatic 636L works poorly, my Galaxy stock mic works awesome on the GoldFinger 29, & the Turner RK56 is aslo awesome.

One thing be careful with is the tantalum caps, I mis-read the board my first time and made the radio sound like absolute garbage, I can only wonder how many people have put the cap in the wrong spot and dismissed this modification as being crap when they goofed up, & in reality this mod kicks @zz!

It is enough to make you stand out from the crowd without all that swing non-sense, but don't expect a miracle, paired with the right microphone, you will have that "Big Radio Sound" without destroying the band or even the adjacent channels! (I can only imagine how well a D-104 can do w/this setup!)

I re-used caps from a few parts Cobra for my "GoldFinger 29 LTD test", it worked awesome, after I did the 'extra' cap change (C71=33uF for 29 LTD).
Postby Goldfinger » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm

The AMC on this chassis is slow and whippy. After the hi-fi transmit mod, the problem is even worse. Here is an quick way to make it work fast and snappy, making it easier to limit right at 100% mod on a hi-fi radio.

Change C71 (220uF 10V electrolytic) to a 33uF 16V electrolytic. (observe polarity)
On the Cobra 25 LTD the one you want to change is C91 (220uF) to a 33uF 16V electrolytic.
Cobra 25LTD Classic (TA7222AP)

Receive:

Change C32 (front center of PC board) to a 2.2uF mylar or NP electrolytic
Change C54 and C56 to 2.2uF NP electrolytic
Change C67 to a 1000uF 25 volt electrolytic
more highs? Change C151 to a .001uF disc or mylar

Transmit:

Change C90 to a 1.5uF 16-50 volt tantalum observe polarity.
Change C96 to a .001uF disc or mylar
Change C89 to a .033uF (333) green mylar

From Goldfinger:
I almost always use a mylar or polypropylene for C32. The signal levels are low there so using a high fidelity cap is a noticeable upgrade.
C54 and C56 are in a higher level area of the chain so the small/handy radial lead non-polar's are fine.
All mylar's is also fine if you can squeeze them in!
Pro Tip: Before venturing into unknown waters with modifications, it's best to start with the solid foundation of a factory radio, this removes any potential variables that can skew the results or cause unexpected failures!

For some dummy load experimentation, I would recommend this mod to even a total newbie, but not the v-mod because the v-mod can act/splatter worse than a "clipped limiter" in the wrong hands! (It often does (n))
After the radio is stock, do the GoldFinger cap changes for TX, make C91=33uF, & call it a day! (y)

If this is a decent Philly (how is the chrome?), fixed & with some new lids this radio would be worth more than what you paid!

Credits for the mod info all goes to Goldfinger of wwpdx (found online, I don't know him)

How did we start at a thread about un-hacking a radio, then go on to talking about re-hacking/improving it as a project, we skipped rite over the part when you gotta make it stock again, lol.

-LeapFrog

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
the cap is in backwards and this is the sloppiest solder job I have ever seen. looks like the used a solder gun to try to solder and made a big mess. solder is in big globs, not smooth as it should be.

Reactions: Robb
How did we start at a thread about un-hacking a radio, then go on to talking about re-hacking/improving it as a project, we skipped rite over the part when you gotta make it stock again, lol.
-LeapFrog

Just kicking around ideas. It would have to go back to stock first anyways. Who knows, maybe it would sound so great I would keep it stock and hack my newer 25. I really need to figure out what I want to do with it to know what to do to it.

the cap is in backwards and this is the sloppiest solder job I have ever seen. looks like the used a solder gun to try to solder and made a big mess. solder is in big globs, not smooth as it should be.
Dull also, plumbing solder or just cold, hope it's not acid core flux, heck I don't think flux was even an after-thought whoever "soldered" that, DID NOT create an amalgam, they simply added metal ontop of the old solder, the temp wasn't right/something went horribly wrong!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.