• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra NightWatch fixxxxxed!!!!!

07dodgeram5.9

BANNED
Jul 9, 2016
Texas
image.jpeg The condemmed night watch failure what to do hummmmm chunk the whole radio or deal with it being out? Neither...

Tell me what you guys think took about an hour... Dremal, 5 leds, resistor, hot glue gun, and a little patience I'm sure not the prettiest thing in the world BUT... Works and was fun

One led went out for dynomic (cheap Chinese ones) I bought kit of 300 on eBay for $8 from China... may have been heat from hot glue gun don't know forsure
Guess I have to pull it back down tomorrow

If you really wanted to I'm sure you could put plunty more LEDs and light that sucker up
image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you ever have to do this again consider "Flexible LED Strip Lights, 12V Self Adhesive Lamp Light PCB 5M Tape"
The almost flush mount of the smt LEDs would make it a cleaner install imho, and the strip of lights is already laid out.

Looks like it worked out for you, I haven't seen the backside of a nightwatch bezel until now!
What is the common failure point of the original nightwatch feature, and could it not be repaired in a more traditional manner? I'm just curious here so any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you ever have to do this again consider "Flexible LED Strip Lights, 12V Self Adhesive Lamp Light PCB 5M Tape"
The almost flush mount of the smt LEDs would make it a cleaner install imho, and the strip of lights is already laid out.

Looks like it worked out for you, I haven't seen the backside of a nightwatch bezel until now!
What is the common failure point of the original nightwatch feature, and could it not be repaired in a more traditional manner? I'm just curious here so any input would be appreciated.

I'm really new to the Hobby so I'm not really sure about the actual issue with the night watch is I do know there is a dimmer box (with radio facing you) left front that sends two circuits to a baby circuit board connected to front of radio from there it sends current through a strip don't know anymore about it than that other than you pull the face off of the face plate and it's definitely broke for sure if your not careful that little strip slides between your meter and faceplate squeezes trough there... I did see those chinese led light strips and was thinking about installing one of those and using the remote color change feature ( never seen a radio with remote color change before ) I think it's kind of stupid but I bet a lot of people would jump on that very good idea though I haven't had the time to order one and find a way to rig it in... How is your knowledge in the hobby I need some help with this other stubborn radio I haven't been able to diagnose yet

I'm really new to the Hobby so I'm not really sure about the actual issue with the night watch is I do know there is a dimmer box (with radio facing you) left front that sends two circuits to a baby circuit board connected to front of radio from there it sends current through a strip don't know anymore about it than that other than you pull the face off of the face plate and it's definitely broke for sure if your not careful that little strip slides between your meter and faceplate squeezes trough there... I did see those chinese led light strips and was thinking about installing one of those and using the remote color change feature ( never seen a radio with remote color change before ) I think it's kind of stupid but I bet a lot of people would jump on that very good idea though I haven't had the time to order one and find a way to rig it in... How is your knowledge in the hobby I need some help with this other stubborn radio I haven't been able to diagnose yet

Oh and the led strip you still would have to go in from the back side like i did I believe it would be to thick even yet to put in between the face cover and face plate if you know what I mean sorry I'm not good with terminology yet lol

Oh and the led strip you still would have to go in from the back side like i did I believe it would be to thick even yet to put in between the face cover and face plate if you know what I mean sorry I'm not good with terminology yet lol
No worries on the terminology, I'm still new (6 months) to radio but I have a little bit of past experience with electronics. Yes someone would think it's neat to change the colors, like the Stryker SR-955HP. As far as fitment goes, I will have to get my hands on a nightwatch to play with, from what you describe it may or may not work.

For the other radio that is giving you issues, I would search for old threads to see If someone else experienced the same issue and members posted the solution, if you can't find an old thread, start a thread under the general CB section.
Include a detailed description of what the symptom(s) are, also describe what still works on the radio. (This can help in troubleshooting)

This forum has many knowledgeable people who are willing to help, if it's something I have experienced before I will try and point you in the right direction.

73 -"Leap"

No worries on the terminology, I'm still new (6 months) to radio but I have a little bit of past experience with electronics. Yes someone would think it's neat to change the colors, like the Stryker SR-955HP. As far as fitment goes, I will have to get my hands on a nightwatch to play with, from what you describe it may or may not work.

For the other radio that is giving you issues, I would search for old threads to see If someone else experienced the same issue and members posted the solution, if you can't find an old thread, start a thread under the general CB section.
Include a detailed description of what the symptom(s) are, also describe what still works on the radio. (This can help in troubleshooting)

This forum has many knowledgeable people who are willing to help, if it's something I have experienced before I will try and point you in the right direction.

73 -"Leap"

Hey I really appreciate it

It's a cobra 29 wx NW st
I dropped the radio on lower cover and the Rx or tx does dead key properly no swing barely faint wx out the speaker and audio chip gets HOT changed audio chip and no luck posted a thread not much help checked some diodes and caps

It's a cobra 29 wx NW st
I dropped the radio on lower cover and the Rx or tx does dead key properly no swing barely faint wx out the speaker and audio chip gets HOT changed audio chip and no luck posted a thread not much help checked some diodes and caps

Severe lack of proper work area ( center console of my 4 wheeler )

It's a cobra 29 wx NW st
I'm going to look at the thread you posted to see what others have already suggested.

When you changed the audio I.C. I assume the new one gets hot as well?
You say you dropped the radio, my initial thought would be a broken solder joint.
A general starting point would be to download the service manual, and find the voltage table for your 29 WX ST.
You have a volt-ohm meter? If not a cheap one (while not recommended) would get you started.
When you solder around traces like the ones found by the audio ic, you must clean any flux residue between the ic leads and around the circuit traces, there is a good chance you will find tiny Solder balls floating around when you start removing the old flux, it's possible that you have a short circuit. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux, a small brush can help you. Avoid q-tips or any cotton, otherwise you will find cotton fibers stuck to the component leads.

Last edited:
I'm going to look at the thread you posted to see what others have already suggested.

When you changed the audio I.C. I assume the new one gets hot as well?
You say you dropped the radio, my initial thought would be a broken solder joint.
A general starting point would be to download the service manual, and find the voltage table for your 29 WX ST.
You have a volt-ohm meter? If not a cheap one (while not recommended) would get you started.
When you solder around traces like the ones found by the audio ic, you must clean any flux residue between the ic leads and around the circuit traces, there is a good chance you will find tiny Solder balls floating around when you start removing the old flux, it's possible that you have a short circuit. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux, a small brush can help you. Avoid q-tips or any cotton, otherwise you will find cotton fibers stuck to the component leads.

Yes the new one gets hot also

And I have a snapon dvm and know how to use it I removed and checked several diodes and caps that are on the schematic down the line of audio chip I did get some good info on how that chip works haven't had time to go through it yet... I'm a firm believer in if you don't know how it works you can't fix it... I just didn't know if it was something simple or not

I have resoldered several joints all around that area I felt like it dropped on no luck I just been shooting in the dark I need to buckle down and read up some more

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.