• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra XL350 or Texas Star 350HDV?

ZuMBLe

Oct 15, 2010
I actually bought both of these amps but don't have either of them yet. I initially bought the TS 350HDV but then saw the Cobra on ebay and snatched it up too. My little RM KL200P is scratchy on SSB (my primary mode) so I need something clear on SSB.

I've seen both reviews on CBRadioMagazine.com, still not sure. Could you all steer me the right way on the pros and cons? I probably don't need to keep both of them. :pop:

Does 10 meter filtering mean I can only be used it on 10 meters? You know, what if I wanted to use it on 12? ;)

It's this one:

!B8m!ebg!Wk~$%28KGrHqQOKkIEzJYk9%29nuBM3ee-zBdQ~~_3.JPG

The Cobra XL350 is great! The texas star puts out more power but the relay is really noisy, and the heatsink is at the bottom (not ideal for base setup). I may end up selling the TS.

id rather have the cobra/palomar series with the filtering too . the filtering is just to keep harmonics of the frequency down to prevent splattering into other electronics . its still up to the operator to not bleed across multiple channels though .

nice power supply zumble . ive got a 35m , its been a rock for me .

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Texas Stars and as far as heatsink being on the bottom goes I run fans on all my amplifiers anyways which you should do aswell because heat is what kills the components so why not add an extra cooling system. I mean for about $10.00 - $15.00 why not!!??

Some of the Palomar models were nice aswell I own a few of those aswell Ive just ran the Texas Stars for years and prefer them Ive ran them on 10 and 12 meters never blew a final transistor in any of them. I believe both the Palomar / cobra 350 and the Texas Star 350 both use 2 X 2SC2879

I had one of those Cobra 350 like yours, but like a dummy I sold it earlier this year - then I was able to listen to on the air - it sure sounded nice!

I'm looking a buying a cobra xl 350 to run behind my galaxy 88 what is a reasonable price to offer is in mint condition and I'm i gonna overdrive or with that radio being dual final

I'm looking a buying a cobra xl 350 to run behind my galaxy 88 what is a reasonable price to offer is in mint condition and I'm i gonna overdrive or with that radio being dual final

They sell on ebay for under $200. You might find one for less at a swap meet. If you do get one mount a fan on it.

A dual final rig will have to be turned down a lot. I use mine for a driver so it never gets pushed past 120 watts pep. It only takes 6 to 8 watts pep to get it there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.