• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra29 VS DX919

bubby1

Mar 22, 2009
How do these radio"s compare?Performance,reliabilty,etc..I don't see much about the 919 and a wholelot about 29's.Which would you choose all things being equal?

the galaxy 919, 929, 939, 949, and 959 are all the same radio on the inside, some have options the others dont, like SSB, the starlight faceplate, freq counter, etc...

as for the differences between them and the cobra 29LTD, i have run both types and both will work just fine. both seem to stand up to heat and vibration ok.

both can be made to sound great on TX.

i think the galaxy radios have a noisier receiver, but they do have the big meter, so...
LC

I have owned both the 29 and 949's and 959's If it where me and I was going to spend around $100 for a new 29 I would add a little to it and get a 949. For the talk back, roger beep, variable power, bigger meter and easy mods let alone the 949 has SSB and if your looking into DX 38 LSB on a 949 after a peak and tune is a blast when skip is running. Also adding extra channels to a 949 is simple and can be done with 2 toggle switches and some wire and a soldering iron. Google galaxy dx 949 mods or go to cbtricks.com. I personally have 2 949's and have fallen in love with both of them. And if you get a 959 for the frequency counter it will track all the extra channels after a channel mod! I run a add on plug in counter on both of mine. By the way I have a channel map if you get the 949 and add channels or you can download it online. Look to Sparkys or copper for the best prices. I also found a place called abetterwaytobuy all one word on a google search and they have free shipping but they do not do any work to radios it will be stock! Good luck and hope to DX you soon. BammBamm 173 in Chicago (y)

But the OP is looking for comparisons between the 29 and the 919, not the 949/959.

While the 919 is very similar to 949, it is an AM only radio. It has very similar features to the 29, with the addition of talkback which is on a switch with high, low and off settings. It already has variable power which seems to be a popular addition to the 29s. Remove the dimmer pot and knob and you have a great place to put an echo control (if you are so inclined). It has a nice BIG meter which may or may not be such a bonus over the new 29s with the updated looks and a larger meter. It already as a roger beep (if you are in to such things), you just need to add a switch, the circuitry is already there.

It's probably more of a personal preference thing. I have both, and I prefer the Galaxy over the 29. Performance wise, they are pretty close, the 919 is different than the 29 in that it is a transistor modulated radio, where the 29 is transformer modulated. This opens up different mods for the 919 than the 29.

I guess I already answered the OPs concluding question... "Which one would you choose all things being equal"?

The 919.

I prefer the 29 as I have never had one minutes trouble out of them. One of my 148s is 30 years old and still going ( waiting for the caps to die).

I have had a 949 and 979 and both had issues. They were both fixed under warranty ( the 949 twice and once 2 months after the warranty expired) for free but I like my old trusty 29s.

There both good radios the Galaxy will get you a few more watts, other than that pick the one with the options you want!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.