• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cocoamodem and psk31 -- getting closer to going digital!!

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
i am interested in using cocoamodem (or a similar mac alternative) to learn more about psk31, and maybe give it a try. :)

at present, i have no experience with digital modes (or CW), and psk31 seems to be the mode that everyone is talking about, so if anyone has a wealth of knowledge that they could possibly pass on?, please do so! :)

while i am interested mainly in cocoamodem and macintosh software, perhaps someone has some information, that i may be able to use -- even windows-based info. as it applies to my learning more about psk31.

thank you!

73, Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes,
I've no experience with 'Mac's so take this for what it's worth. I do have some experience with 'Windows' based stuff so will tell you a little about that aspect.
Most of the 'digital' modes can be done without a modem of any kind. Basically, all you need is a sound card in the computer, and a means of connecting that sound card to the output/input of a radio. Software 'modems' are fairly common, sort of.
The biggest problem is making the computer and radio 'compatible', getting rid of, or stopping any RF interference. Quite a few of those thingys on the market now, and not all that difficult to make if you feel like it.
Just to see if you might like PSK31, or several of the other modes, try finding the applicable software, install it, get an audio cable to connect the output of the radio to the input of the sound card (speaker on the radio, mic/aux/whatever input on the sound card). Listening is pretty easy. Transmitting doesn't have to be that easy, one or two 'gadgets' to put in line, sort of.
Biggest difference between the sofware programs is the user interface, the 'control panel' you look at on the screen. Some are 'nicer' than others, just depends on the individual. The basic programs all 'do' the same thing, basically.
Try it, you'll like it...
- 'Doc

Bunch not said in the above! Untill you find that you want to 'do' this stuff, why go to the bother? Sort of... Oh #3||, why not!

Yeah you need

1) audio in and out of your rig, to and from your computer

2) psk software to run on the computer

3) a means to PTT/TX your rig

The PTT part can be done via serial port of the PC, you can use the audio and VOX built into the rig already (I don't recommend that), or you can use pre-made interfaces that do it a few other ways.

My favorite of my three, a homebrew, a Digimaster Duo, and a Tigertronics Signalink USB, is the Tigertronics.

I am in the midst of working with another ham, to get on digital VHF, most likely on PSK31. We are not quite ready to take the "digital plunge" as of right now, but are working on getting the right hardware, some of which we already have.

Thanks for your help guys!

73, Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.