• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Comp amp

TD126

Oct 18, 2013
I have a "Dave Made" 2 pill competition amp. I came on it by...well a kind of freak way. I didn't actually want it. I bought a RCI 2995 from a person and they included it just to get rid of it.
I have been told all kind of different things about this. I've been told don't push more than 4 watts into it....told it is ok to push 100 watts as it is made for competition etc....I do not know what to believe. I do know that it was made for the high power RCI 2995 that will swing to 100 watts. It is a HUGE rig for only 2 pills...has 2 humongous power supplies in it with extra large capacitors. Has 2 big fans and in a large cabinet. You'd think it is a "16 PILL" by the looks of the cabinet. I really have no need of this as I can do whatever I want with 300 watts or less with the set up I have. No need in pressing my luck. I was told by the head engineer at D.M. that it would take 100 watts of drive to push as much as 800 watts. He stated that new they sell for $465.00 with the SSB Switch like this one has. I have had numerous people wanting to buy it and am wondering what is a fair price and if anyone else is familiar with this type amp. Thanks.

If you have a newer 2995 if has an (8) mosfet final pa, and if it's an older 2995 it'll have, I believe, (2) 2290's. Can you really see driving (2) 2879's with either of those combinations?

I certainly can't.

Nope

No, I can't see it...that is what I am so blasted confused about. Although it is a "Competition amp" it makes no sense...in fact the entire set up makes no sense...build a fine piece of electronics like this for only 2 transistors...BTW it has 2-2879's.

That amp with the CORRECT DRIVE (2W deadkey and about 15-20W PEP AM and up to 20W PEP SSB) will do about 200-300W PEP output. Most likely tho, it's gonna be a class C amp, with no biasing to the bases of the transistors, so it'll be a splatterbox. I've done work on several of the "comp" boxes to make them sound good for SSB usage, but it requires correct biasing of the transistors with proper thermal tracking.

If you get a chance, take some pictures of the inside of the amp if you can. I'd be interested to see what it looks like inside. Thanks!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
It's probably a class C AM only box that I assume is a base amp that plugs in the wall. That said I would not run it with any version of a 2995. Something like a 2-4 watt dead key and 20-40 watts peak will work. Might get you 375-400 peak watts. You will have to check and see what the deal is with that amp, sometimes they run the power supply side at 16-17 volts for some feel good numbers on the watt meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.