• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Comparing WB Receive (TH-F6A, VX-8R, IC-T90A)

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Still mulling over a handheld. I figured since they all had a WB receiver, I might as well see how the specs stacked up.

YaeComWoodAMSSBSensitivity.png

I wouldn't expect them to hear much of any HF with the stock antenna, but I'd hope that an external would do good. I would like to listed to the AM broadcast band with the stock antenna though. Looks like Icom has it here. I don't know what to expect above HF for AM/SSB receive. Although, the Kenwood's ability to receive SSB almost makes this a no brainer.

YaeComWoodNFMSensitivity.png

With the exception of the 1.25-meter band, the Icom sweeps the field. Of course, you would expect the Kenwood to outperform here since it features full 220 capabilities relative to the others in the lineup. In reality, performance on 2-meter/70-centimeter is going to be too close to call, so the rest of the WB receiver capability is considered, and that is a tuff call.

The Kenwood seems to have the edge with versatility, covering both SSB and NFM, plus it covers the 23-centimeter band. Seems like lots of options here. The gaping holes in it's specs is dissapointing, however.

The Icom looks to be a good solid performer, notching in a few of the Ham bands and covering the full wide band with relatively flat performance. The draw is a bit hard to resist.

The Yaesu? Almost looks more like a tri-band receiver and a WB display, to me. But to be fair, I have not seen the published manual yet.

Did you take those measurements yourself? Can you describe the test procedure and what programs you used to generate that? I think those graphs are awesome!!

I have the Kenwood and used to have the Icom. I made a wire antenna to use with the Kenwood and have listened to many shortwave stations over the years. I wouldn't say it's "great", but it is useable. The Icom had horrible intermod problems. Living in one of the biggest cities in the U.S., that thing picked up every pager, police, fire, wal-mart, even coast guard frequencies while trying to use it on 2m. I really liked the functionality of the little radio but the intermod was a killer. I really want one of the newer D-Star HT's, but just can't afford it right now.

Thanks, Moleculo. I just plotted the published specifications. Lets take a look at the selectivity of these receivers.

TH-F6A (applies only to 2m/1.25m/70cm):
-6 dB/12 kHz
-40 dB/28 kHz

IC-T90A (all NFM):
-9 dB / 15 kHz
-60 dB / 30 kHz

VX-8R (all NFM):
-6 dB / 12 kHz
-60 / 35 kHz

YaeComWoodSelectivity.png

dxChat
Help Users