• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connector help

biferi

Jul 29, 2008
I have called every Radio store and Electronics store and even on the net.

I can't find the PL-259 and the SO-239 connectors and every place tells me they don't know what they are.

I am going to put the PL-259 on one end of a Coaxle Cable and the PL=259 will connect to the SO-239 connector.

So I can connect the Left and Right ANT ARMS please help

I have called every Radio store and Electronics store and even on the net.

I can't find the PL-259 and the SO-239 connectors and every place tells me they don't know what they are.

Then they are all idiots,each and everyone of them!:thumbdown:

I am going to put the PL-259 on one end of a Coaxle Cable and the PL=259 will connect to the SO-239 connector.

So I can connect the Left and Right ANT ARMS please help

Just WHAT is it you are trying to do? Make a dipole? It isn't hard man. It isn't hard. :headbangCheck out the links below for PL-259 and SO-239's.

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: TNC, N, mini-UHF connectors & adapters: Premium PL-259 UHF-Type Coaxial Connector

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: TNC, N, mini-UHF connectors & adapters: SO-239 Chassis-Mount Coaxial Socket

Coax Cable assemblies |RF 50 OHM| RFID Cables | Custom coax assemblies

http://www.thewireman.com/newconnect1.html

Dipole center connection:

http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/dipole_center.jpg

Basic dipole construction:

Google Image Result for http://www.aa5tb.com/dipole03.gif

Took all of 2 minutes to find the above with Google.Remember Google IS your friend.

474117014_38991426da.jpg

AY - MEN, QRN!

I believe he's been trying for two weeks to make a dipole for receiving :headbang.

...using "coaxle".

Nice graphics, by the way. From the SARL website, right? (y)

ANT help

I just called Radio Shak and told them I needed
a PL-259 connector to go onto a Coaxle Cable. And that will go onto a SO-239 connector.

And the SO-239 connector will give me Left and Right Taps. And I told them I need it to give me the Center Pin for one ANT Arm and the Outer Shielding will be for the other ANT Arm.

They told me this would not work because the SO-239 connector has Taps for connecting Coaxle Cable to the Left and Right sides.

And I told them that the wire I am going to use for the ANT. Left and Right Arms is 18 Gauge.

They told me the thing I should do is get a UHF/VHF ANT the kind that is like the old Wip ANT. You can then extained the Left ANT. out and the Right AND out.

And the wires comeing from this is 300 Ohm and just get a 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm connector and then you can connect it to the Coaxle Cable.

Would this still work or what is the best way????

Would this still work or what is the best way????

As stated a couple times before.THIS is the best way.

Google Image Result for http://www.aa5tb.com/dipole03.gif

Forget about the SO-239 connector. Forget about the PL-259 connector. SPLIT the end of the COAX and connect each side to a piece of wire. Weatherproof the connection with something like silicone sealant,throw the antenna up as high as you can and be done with it.Trust me you are making this MUCH,MUCH harder than it really is or needs to be. It is almost as if a troll is present. :glare: :headbang

Coaxle help

OK I will split the Coaxle Cable myself and make it all like that.

But what if I use a Long Wip ANT. and just take the 300 Ohm wire from it and connect it to a 75 Ohm Coupler.

Will this work or why would this not work just thinking???

First, it's "COAXIAL", not "COAXLE".:headbang:headbang:headbang

Second, what "long wip ant" having a "300 ohm wire" is it that you want to connect to a "75 ohm coupler"????

Build the dipole first and use it. Learn from the experience. Experiment with antennas and learn the correct terminologies for the components.

Get some antenna books and study them. Please.

Build the dipole first and use it. Learn from the experience. Experiment with antennas and learn the correct terminologies for the components.

Get some antenna books and study them. Please.

Yes please. It tends to confuse the hell out of us that do know the terms and makes it VERY hard to explain something to those who don't. Not trying to be mean here but good advice has been offered. Take it use it as presented. It is not hard.Experiment. It is just a receiver. Nothing can happen to it if the antenna is not perfect.Unless of course you decide to use the AC lines as an antenna. :eek:. Don't laugh,I have been asked about that before.Together Beetle and I have about 70 years experiance in these things.Somewhere along the line we manage to do at least one thing right. (y)

I get a kick out of these radio shacks. One has everything and doesnt understand what 3/4 of the parts are in the drawers or parts bins and the next store has absolutely $h!+ for parts components AND OR HELP IN GENERAL!!! This by far with not knowing what a PL-259 or an SO-239 is TOPS EVERYTHING IVE EVER ENCOUNTERED OR HAVE HAD HAPPEN customer service wise ANYWHERE!!! LMAO Ide had said well let me explain its kind of like electronic component intercourse (while drawing a picture for better understanding) you see this ole PL259 here he slips riight into this SO239 girl here and then he screws real good like so and he sticks with her then because of the true tight connection. Good lord :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.