• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Considering getting into CB

stormblu

Mar 5, 2014
Abilene, TX
I've never used a CB radio before and am looking to buy my first one.

I am looking at the Uniden 980 because I read in a ham license manual that SSB is better than AM. However that is the only SSB radio I found, except for expensive imports like the President Grant II or Lincoln II. So maybe SSB isn't that popular?

My main question here is what would I be missing out on if I get a radio without SSB?

Yes you would be missing out if you get a radio without SSB in my opinion. You would always regret not having it because you are already showing interest. Invest your money one time and get the sideband the first time.. you won't be disappointed. The 980 is a perfect starter radio. I have it myself. Good luck.

Don't even think of getting a CB if it doesn't have SSB. SSB is so much more efficient, (and powerful), than AM. You can literally, (when conditions are right), talk all around the U.S. and many foreign countries, (Europe, Australia, the Caribbean, etc.).

AM is like a "local talk" radio. SSB takes it to a new level.

Stay away from the new Cobra 148's. Other than that, you'll get 1000 opinions on what is best.

Good luck....and get yourself a SSB equipped radio.

Reactions: 1 person
SSB is so much more efficient, (and powerful), than AM.
More efficient? Yes. More powerful? No. You can tune in/out several stations on a single channel with SSB because it's so narrow. On AM you are stuck with the heterodyne and can largely only pic out 1, maybe 2 stations on a single channel.

That's why SSB has a clarifier and AM doesn't, you can slide around on a channel using SSB, and you can't on AM.
AM is like a "local talk" radio.
People talk coast-coast using AM daily.

I don't even own a SSB radio anymore, but I'd say to the new user ........ "you have to try it to see if you like it" ........ so for that reason, I'd say buy a SSB radio as a starter.

BTW, what's wrong with the 148? It's the same as the beloved 2000 in a different shoe box.

I would never go back to an AM only CB radio. SSB is a whole different kind of animal, I love it. I spend more time on SSB now than I ever did on AM. Lower noise floor, lively conversation... Not just a bunch of guys on their overdriven splatterboxes screaming BYE BYE BYE BYE BYEEEEE into the microphone after every transmission.

Reactions: 4 people
More efficient? Yes. More powerful? No. You can tune in/out several stations on a single channel with SSB because it's so narrow. On AM you are stuck with the heterodyne and can largely only pic out 1, maybe 2 stations on a single channel.

That's why SSB has a clarifier and AM doesn't, you can slide around on a channel using SSB, and you can't on AM.

People talk coast-coast using AM daily.

I don't even own a SSB radio anymore, but I'd say to the new user ........ "you have to try it to see if you like it" ........ so for that reason, I'd say buy a SSB radio as a starter.

BTW, what's wrong with the 148? It's the same as the beloved 2000 in a different shoe box.

He said stay away from the new 148's, I would also add to that the late model soundtracker 148. Stormblu, you might also look at the Galaxy 979 & 959 AM/SSB radio's. You can also search E-Bay for an older Cobra 148 and Uniden Grant xl.

You can tune in/out several stations on a single channel with SSB because it's so narrow. On AM you are stuck with the heterodyne and can largely only pic out 1, maybe 2 stations on a single channel.That's why SSB has a clarifier and AM doesn't, you can slide around on a channel using SSB, and you can't on AM.

Actually an SSB radio has a clarifier because the clarifier control is actually a tunable carrier oscillator called a BFO (beat frequency oscillator) that has to reinject the missing carrier into the signal to replace the missing carrier that is filtered out in SSB mode.Without that reinjected carrier you would not be able to demodulate the signal. The fact that SSB is narrower does however mean you can fit a bit more stations into the same space, however that is not the reason that SSB radios have a clarifier.

Reactions: 2 people
AM only: virtually ANY CB radio would do for a beginner.

SSB is a totally different story.

At present, right out of the box AM/SSB for a beginner, really the ONLY one I could possibly recommend would be:

Uniden Bearcat BC980SSB. Yes, the output power might be somewhat down, however, it is perhaps the ONLY one that can be operated ON frequency (regardless of temperature) with a closed clarifier that would be useful to a beginner.

While I LIKE the Galaxy DX-959, 949, and 979's, they tend to come from the factory, OFF FREQ for SSB use. So, unless you pay extra $$$ to have the clarifiers unlocked, you're screwed on SSB. These can be peaked and tuned to develop significantly more output power on SSB and much louder modulation on AM than any Uniden Bearcat 980. They are probably not as much "plug-n-play" for a beginner.

The newer Cobra 148 GTL's (4 pins), unless you recap them and perform the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) upgrades, are pretty much LOUSY SSB performers.

Connex now also makes an AM/SSB CB radio, although I'd put that in the Galaxy chassis category.

So... truly, the ONLY choice (at the moment) is the Uniden BC980SSB.

ssb may be better for skip, especially out of country contacts. I have found that locally you find alot more people to talk to on AM. Correct me if I'm wrong. In my part of the US though ssb is not used much.

Hey just to throw this in here the uniden 980 is on sale a pilot for 129. I might pick one up myself for that price, really have been pondering whether or not it's worth it?

Hey just to throw this in here the uniden 980 is on sale a pilot for 129. I might pick one up myself for that price, really have been pondering whether or not it's worth it?

Good price on the 980. the pilots around here only have the 880. Must have sold them out. I believe amazon has them for about 134.00 free shipping too.

Just an FYI- They are also on sale at Loves this month (April) for that price. That, and using my Trucker Rewards points allowed me (also just getting into the game) to pick one up for about $89 brand new, out the door. I couldn't pass it up at that price. Now, to find the right antenna (or 2 if anyone thinks running phased/dual on a big rig is better), a new mic, and a decent CB shop and I'll be GTG.....Sorry for the threadjack!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.