• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Continuous skip 12 / 22 - 23 / 15 strange condition

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
It's so rare that DX continues into the AM, but it certainly did from Tuesday through Wednesday morning. Although it seems to have dropped off a bit at the time this post was written (8am), it's still coming into New Jersey. West from Chicago and Missouri south to Alabama and everywhere in between. I've never heard this happened in my one year on the air. I have heard skip occasionally up until 2 a.m., but never like this. I woke up a few times during the morning to hit the head, and turned on rig, and lo and behold there it was, just as strong as it had been in the afternoon. That would be excellent if it happened more often, but this is an anomaly, obviously.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the members of WWDX..

Yep the other night was the same. Saturday night maybe. DX lasted well into the AM hours from up North aroubd NJ and surrounding states. I talked to like 5 or 6 guys out of NJ that was all friends locally. Made contact with all of them. It was nice!!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the meteor shower?

Not related to the meteor shower. Meteor burns last only seconds resulting in an ionized trail able to reflect radio signals lasting very much less that a minute on 27 MHz. MUCH shorter times on 6m and up. I remember times when I would be up practically all nights working DX. Not unusual for us on the east coast to work Europe after midnight and then follow it further east until the Middle East was open just before day-break and finally Australia shortly after dawn and then back to Europe in the morning and further west as the day progressed. Yes this was all on 11m too.

Odd for this time of year but probably sporadic e clouds hanging around. Enjoy it while it lasts.

One of those huge ionized clouds appeared over Michigan on Monday but it was from the hairspray they used on Donald Trumps hair.

Reactions: codeman
many times it is weather related,,,, the east coast has been haveing warmer weather more than normal,,, cold fronts here in florida usaually bring a few hours of skip but sometimes if if it stalls it can last for a few days

it hasn't been constant here. was hearing ireland around 10:30 this morning for about 5 minutes, then it all faded away. by 10:45 even the noise level had dropped quite a bit. noise level is 4-5# now, no skip making it over.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.